inTank Media Baskets

Macro Algae question

kailkaitan

I have one Scarlet hermit and one damsel in my 5 gallon. I have a sm. HOB w/o the media and 8lbs of live rock. I know the macro helps to keep down the nitrates? but where do you put it? In the HOB or in the tank. Some of my LR has some nice coralline on it but I don't have ANY critters like copods or anything so do I need the macro?? This is one area I'm not real clear on. Any help would be appreciated.:*( :)

You won’t need to add macro algae. Although it will help lower your nitrates and help control micro algae by consuming the nutrients; plus, your Scarlet hermit would probably enjoy snacking on it. Macro algae aren’t bad, but they can grow pretty fast and it’s sometimes hard to keep it under control in your main tank.

Because it grows out of control and sometimes because a species eats all of it, macro algae is often kept in a fuge or HOB filter that is lit. You need adequate lighting to maintain algae.

If you decide not to add macro, your weekly water changes should be enough to maintain your nitrates at around 10ppm. If not, you might be overstocked or are overfeeding. A skimmer is another way to reduce your nitrates; however, care must be taken to dose back the elements stripped out of your water by the skimmer.

So am i right in saying that because I have some Macro algae growing in my tank I must have pretty good lighting?

Unfortuantly I only have a 25w T8 Marineglo and 2 x 25w T8 Powerglos, all with reflectors. The algae is growing fast, and i now appear to be getting coraline algae on the normal rocks in there.

Backs, I’m not sure that you can say that. It tells me that you have enough light to support your Macro, but most corals have different needs (some much more than others).

I’d start a new thread, post the tank's specs, and ask about specific corals. Maybe someone could help you answer that question.

Archived