SaltCritters.com

What are some good corals?

Phish

Hey, what kind of corals are good for a;

10 gallon

High light (96watt)

High current (rio 180 plus in tank refuge/surface skimmer with rio 600)

NooB

Less aggressive corals, or aggressive if you think i can manage,

Hard stoney, soft, any kind that would be good for a biginner.

Thanks

If you are noob like you say, wait a few months till your tank is cycled and established. Then, go for less expensive, hardy corals such as mushrooms, star polyps, or xenia. Xenia grows like a weed in other people's tanks, so if you have reefing friends you may be able to get some for free even.

Actualy I didnt start it yet, I am getting all the info I set it up, I am preping it (building the refuge/surface skimmer in tank) and planning the fish I want, I am leaning towards two Firefish and a small goby, or a goby and a Royal gamma, but I dont really want the goby/pistol shrimp.

Don't get too much in love with a particular fish or coral, or you will be tempted to buy it before your tank is ready. having patience is the key.

HTH

I plan to let it cycle for a 2 weeks to a month (or however long it takes) and then have the inverts for a month ('cuz they are sensitive so if one dies for some reason I will hold off on fish and coral) and after all that buy 2-3 coral frags ($5 for any frag at my lfs) and and then two fish, and then start finishing the tank off, but if anything dies, the whole process is cut until I figure out the problem.

I love playing music (flute, bass, guitar, keyboards, marimba+lots more) and fishing..... I am very Patient.

Archived