Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fuge Question

el_dante

Ok, after reading "fuge this and fuge that" all over the place, I figure that it is a beneficial addition to a reef. I'm honestly not entirely convinced that it's necessary (some convincing will be great), but I am leaning towards this particular fuge that I saw on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=3212&rd=1. So my question is: does this particular fuge look like a decent one to put in a 12G Eclipse? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Here are some of my specs:

Equip.

12G Eclipse

approx. 20 lbs LR

3" DSB Southdown

96W CSL PowerQuad 50/50

13W Rite-lite (Bookworm) Actinic 03

Aquaclear 150 HOB

2 Aquaglobe 200 Powerheads

50W Ebo Jaegar Heater

Livestock

False Perc.

Green Star Polyps

Yellow Polyps

Green Monti Digita

Corky Finger

Green Button Polyps

Pulsing Xenia

Anthelia

Red Mushrooms

Green/Purple Ricordia

Zoos

I don't like the look of it. Take a peak at the cpr fuge and you will see that the walls that separate the middle chamber from the outflow chamber and the inflow chamber are much higher, creating a very slow moving flow. Basically, the water fills up chamber one and then slowly pours over the wall, into chamber two (the macro planting area). The water fills up the middle chamber and then overflows into a third chamber, where it then pumps back into the tank via an outflow tube. With low walls to separate the middle chamber, you might get too strong a current in the macro area and the pods and other little critters might get easily swept into the main tank.

I would see if you can get some feedback on it before you jump into buying it.

Thanks for the advice Crak. Now that I compared the two, the Ebay one doesn't look so hott. Any idea where I can get a CPR like fuge w/out paying the close to $100 that CPR charges?

not sure but the cpr one comes with the pump and a warranty, which is extremely important in my opinion. You're dealing with water and the potential for flooding and, if you have a live in girlfriend or a wife, the company made, mass produced product gives you a bit less to fear.

You might want to check new world aquarium for hob fuges. Not sure if they have them but, if they do, you can see first hand, what they should look like.

Also, check the vendor feedback area, people are always posting their luck with them in there.

I don't know much about acrylic, but it seems like you could get a few pieces of acrylic for about $4 and glue them on to the "baffles" in the main chamber and have it engineered just like a CPR. I don't know how much cheaper the E-bay one would be after a pump and shipping....

The design was re-done, but the auction changed as well. Aragonite substrate was included, as well as acrylic glue. Now I don't see that stuff listed. The price was reduced a few bucks though.

It also looks like you need to supply tubing (as well as the pump of course).

Archived