Pod Your Reef

Cleaning the filters in a JBJ 24g NC

Baggie131183

Baggie131183

Hi could you guys tell me how you clean your filters please , i.e. the 2 filters in the first chamber and the 1 in the middle chamber.

I have always sprayed mine out with water from the shower with no effect to my fish or corals before . But now it seems that my polyps don't take to well to it. I have a bubble coral frag which is doing well allong with some mushrooms.

I can only put it down to the way i'm cleaning the filters as I do a 5 gallon change every 10 days or so with water bought from my lfs. I am also running a bag of carbon in the middle chamber under the filter sponge.

Thanks , Bag.

rhunter513

Hi Baggie131183 -

First off, I am assuming you are not using the bio-balls and ceramic beads that came with the tank. If you are then you should remove them. Your live rock is all the bio-filtration you need. The bio-balls/beads lead to high nitrates down the road.

Now for my controversial advice....

My advice to you is to take all the filter media out of the rear chambers except maybe the carbon. Mechanical filter media is bad and will lead to high nitrates down the road unless you are cleaning it every other day. I have a 24 nanocube DX and I don't use any filter media at all in my rear chambers. I do keep two small bag of carbon in #2 and rinse them out with each weekly water change. The rear filter chambers act as a settling and collect LOTS of crap. Use a gravel vac to vac out the rear chambers each week.

My method is not very popular, most people feel that mechanical media is a must...I disagree. Putting a protein skimmer in the rear chambers is a great idea!

coachfraley

If you are going to use mechanical filtration, disposable filter floss it a great way to go. I used it on my 12 cube, and changed it out twice a week. I also had a small wedge of sponge that I used just to support the floss in the chamber. I would rinse the sponge under hot tap every time I changed the floss. If you run floss right out of the intake, your rear chambers will accumulate a lot less gunk.

I agree with hunter on the skimmer idea, if you can get one that will fit your cube. Also, if you are not running a fuge with chaeto back there, you really should set that up!

Archived