SaltCritters.com

Red Sea Magnesium kits read high?

brshriver

Anyone ever try Red Sea's mag test kit. I have used SeaChem's and Elos' and liked both. The SeaChem's has higher resolution, but the Elos test is much easier/quicker even though the resolution is only 100ppm.

I ran out and ordered another Elos kit. They were back ordered though so I picked up a Red Sea kit at the LFS. All readings seem suspect and possibly 200ppm high. I tested 3 tanks and new salt mix - all were higher than expected. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'll see if I have some mag reference around from the SeaChem kit...

I found a SeaChem Mag ref solution with a mag level of 1275. My Red Sea Test kit read 1500. I guess that was money wasted. I guess it may be repeatably wrong though.

Some quick searches on RC and here seem to indicate to stay away from Red Sea kits.

Same here:

Red Sea=1280

Seachem=950

Now, how to auto-dose Mg when ATO is already used for kalk?

I think Red Sea Mag tests are worthless.

I add Mag chips to my CA reactor. It helps some, but I do have to add Mag every now and then. I think my magnesium chips are called ZeoMag or ZeoVit?

I found another Mag issue was with my new salt mix. My Reef Crystals was mixing up way low so every time I did a 20% water change I was lowering my mag levels. I now does up Magnesium to the right level in my new salt water before each water change.

Yea my mag was off with red sea. salifert tested different. Elos has a good mag test kit.

I also like the Elos Mag kit but the one I ordered was backordered. The resolution is not as good a seachem, but it is quicker and seems accurate. The resolution is good enough for Mag. The salifert kits I have used I have liked as well: Alk and low range nitrates.

I also like the Elos phosphate kit.

Red Sea make nice aquariums, good salt....but their test kits may be the worst. Best bang for the buck...API Kits. IMO

From what I have read, I think you may be right on the Red Sea kits. I have not tried API yet, I'll give them a shot.

I don’t think that API makes Mg test kits.

brshriver, I started replacing ~0.5 liter of reef water with RO mixed with Seachem Mg (dripping) every other day but its getting tiresome. ZeoMag sound interesting but I have no Ca reactor, only kalk (Kent) mixed into ATO. If it doesn’t need CO2 to dissolve could I just dump few chips into ATO container or mix it with sand inside the fuge? Thanks

I don’t think that API makes Mg test kits.

brshriver, I started replacing ~0.5 liter of reef water with RO mixed with Seachem Mg (dripping) every other day but its getting tiresome. ZeoMag sound interesting but I have no Ca reactor, only kalk (Kent) mixed into ATO. If it doesn’t need CO2 to dissolve could I just dump few chips into ATO container or mix it with sand inside the fuge? Thanks

For my 46G B and 20G H with no CA reactor nor ATO, I just dump SeaChem's Advantage Magnesium crystals into the fuge twice a week as needed to maintain Mag. I should pre-disolve it but I don't. I may switch to pre-mixing gallons of RO with mag to a saturated state and figuring out how much to supplement my top off with. I suppose you could use a dosing pump to do it this way. I see no reason to drip feed mag though. You probably should not just dump the raw crystals into the sump like I do, but there is no need to drip it. I have seen a crystal get grabbed by the sump pump and blown into the display which is a little dangerous to the coral so my method is too lazy ;)

I am also likely to switch to a bulk mag chloride source like mag flakes.

The ZeoMag will not disolve well enough in water that is < 7.0 pH. The chips look just like regular CA reactor medium.

You could always dose B-ionic mag. zeomag works great in a CA reactor. Brett, I may have a new prop project on the way, we'll see if I can afford to do it.

You could always dose B-ionic mag. zeomag works great in a CA reactor. Brett, I may have a new prop project on the way, we'll see if I can afford to do it.

Cool. I have two more 400W balast and fixtures that I am not using like the one over the 66 bow. You can borrow one until I need it - which should be no time soon ;) They are no luminarcs, but they do a decent job. I am not sure if you can run 250W bulbs in them. I would need to research.

Archived