inTank Media Baskets

API Test Kits Faulty!

Rathje70

I have now bought four different sets of API Nitrate test kits because each one is different. I tested all four of the kits with my water at the exact same time using the same procedure for each. I filled the tubes up, wrinsed them out with the water from the tank and then refilled them. I then added 10 drops and then shook and then added bottle 2. I shook the tubes for about a minute. I then let them sit for 5 minutes as instructed. One test kit got 10, one fot 20, and two of them got 40. Previously I had taken my water to three different LFS and they all said my nitrates were below five. I then got home and see that these test kits are completely different from one another in their readings. Has anyone else had trouble with API test kits? Even after I changed the water, I tested the next day so the water would be settled down and I got the same readings. It is pretty pathetic that I have four test kits and neither of them are accurate compared to what the LFS's say.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

I will appreciate any help, thanks!

inferno2113

Do you know what type of test kits they used at the LFS? They usually just grab one from their stock and use it to test peoples water.

Do you know what type of test kits they used at the LFS? They usually just grab one from their stock and use it to test peoples water.

They also used API, which they use to test everyones water that they bring in. Everything in my tank is doing fine. I have a 29 Gallon Biocube packed with softies and a couple hard corals. Everything looks great besides my xenia because of low PH at the moment. I do not think I should worry about the levels being high but I would like a consistent test kit so I can check them every once in awhile.

Any suggestions will help, Thanks!

Did you shake the bottle 2 for a while before you added any drops? Sometimes chemicals will settle and if not mixed right will give bad readings.

Did you shake the bottle 2 for a while before you added any drops? Sometimes chemicals will settle and if not mixed right will give bad readings.

Yeah, I shook it for atleast five minutes. I beleive that the three are just faulty because I am not testing the RO water I use and the one that tested 10 and below tested zero on the RO water while the others tested around 60 to 80 and that cannot be right. Why would there be three faulty ones though?

Yeah, I shook it for atleast five minutes. I beleive that the three are just faulty because I am not testing the RO water I use and the one that tested 10 and below tested zero on the RO water while the others tested around 60 to 80 and that cannot be right. Why would there be three faulty ones though?

I meant I am now testing, not "not testing" has anyone else had experience with these problems before?

jamesnmandy

i thought my Red Sea kit was wrong, was typically running about 20ppm, bought a new API reef kit, tested with it, same result....LOL

nothing is wrong with my tank though, so as long as it reads the same i dont worry

i thought my Red Sea kit was wrong, was typically running about 20ppm, bought a new API reef kit, tested with it, same result....LOL

nothing is wrong with my tank though, so as long as it reads the same i dont worry

Haha yeah, I don't know, I guess i just dont want anything in my tank to be wrong. I wont worry about it now, ill just hope that the test kits are right.

Any other suggestions or inputs are welcome!

Archived