ReefCleaners.org

I can't raise my pH in hyposalinity QT

Waterproof

Waterproof

I can't seem to raise the pH in my hyposalinity quarintine tank. I'll buffer the water and bring the pH up to 8.2-8.3 but then within a few hours, it's back to 7.8. What should I do? I'm using Seachem Marine Buffer. Is a pH of 7.8 ok for the QT?

I can't seem to raise the pH in my hyposalinity quarintine tank. I'll buffer the water and bring the pH up to 8.2-8.3 but then within a few hours, it's back to 7.8. What should I do? I'm using Seachem Marine Buffer. Is a pH of 7.8 ok for the QT?

From the reefkeeping website. They say that buffers are temporary. Here is a little snippet

"Solutions to pH Problems

Some solutions to pH problems are peculiar to each cause, and these are detailed below. There are, however, some general solutions that are frequently effective. These include using high pH additives when alkalinity is required. Limewater (kalkwasser) is the best choice in this regard, followed by the high pH two-part additives. These methods have the advantage of raising pH, but not raising alkalinity relative to calcium in an undesirable fashion.

Buffers alone are not generally a good method as they raise pH little, and result in excessive alkalinity. Unfortunately, the labels on many commercial buffers are written in ways that convince aquarists that the pH will be fine if they just add some buffer. More often than not, the pH is not improved for more than a day, and the alkalinity rises beyond desired limits.

Two other useful methods include growing macroalgae that absorb some CO2 from the water as they grow (often lit on a reverse light cycle to the main tank to provide the maximum pH rise when the main tank is at its pH minimum), and aerating the water with fresh air."

What salt are you using?

Have you tried increasing your surface turbulence or adding an air diffuser?

Waterproof
What salt are you using?

Have you tried increasing your surface turbulence or adding an air diffuser?

I'm using oceanic salt and there is an air diffuser in the tank (along w/ a HOB filter). The tank is just a cheap, acrylic, 5 gallon. Normally, when I mix my batches of water for the reef tank (1.024), the pH is right at 8.2-8.3. So, the salt should be good. But with the SG at only 1.009-1.010, I'm having a very difficult time bringing up and maintaining the pH.

So do you have a pH in the 8.0-8.3 range when you first mix up the water (after all the salt has completely dissolved) or is it low from the get-go?

Waterproof
Why are you using hypo to begin with?

I've read it's safer in treating ick than copper. I guess I should have mentioned the ick part.

Mr. Fosi, when I mix the salt to 1.009, the pH is low (around 7.6-7.8). Then I buffer it to 8.3, add it to the tank, and it bottoms out again, pretty quickly.

rhunter513

its must be because your alk is low. Check that. Alk in the 10/11dkh should have your Ph at around 8.2ish

is there anything currently QT'ing in the tank then? organic decay can depress pH.

is the room well-ventilated?

Waterproof

The room is my kitchen...very well ventilated, 70 degrees.

It is more of a hospital tank than a quarantine tank, in response to an ick problem. My 2 perc clowns are in the tank right now. They would likely be dead if I had left them in the main tank any longer. The smaller clown's fins were a mess, and its body was covered with dots. The larger clown looked alright, but was gulping for air above the water line, probably due to the gills being infected by ick.

The alk has been around 7-8, once again likely due to the low salt content. As far as raising the alk, shouldn't the Marine Buffer be doing that along w/ the pH? What else can I try? Baking soda? How much / gallon?

I really appreciate the help!

The alk has been around 7-8... As far as raising the alk, shouldn't the Marine Buffer be doing that along w/ the pH? What else can I try? Baking soda? How much / gallon?

An alk of 7-8 is just fine. Since it is just fish, in this case, a pH of 7.8 is probably fine.

It seems like you might do more harm than good by toying with the water chem any more. So long as the pH doesn't dip lower, you should be fine. Have you tested the pH it during lights off?

Waterproof
An alk of 7-8 is just fine. Since it is just fish, in this case, a pH of 7.8 is probably fine.

It seems like you might do more harm than good by toying with the water chem any more. So long as the pH doesn't dip lower, you should be fine. Have you tested the pH it during lights off?

I tested it this morning with the lights off and it looked around 7.7-7.8. It's hard to tell the difference between the colors when it gets this low. I've been keeping the lights off for all but 3 hrs a day. The tank gets enough low-intensity ambient light during the day and when the kitchen lights are on. I didn't want to stress the fish, and I read that keeping the lights on can do that. So, I just turn it on a little before I feed then and then leave it on for a couple hrs more. The little tank only has a weak 4" or 6" fluorescent, so even with it on, there in't much light. I'll probalby start to leave it on during the day once the fish are looking better.

On a side note, my smaller clown has started to show some weird colors. The white looks faded and the orange almost appears as if it's showing through on the white areas. I don't think the white areas actually have orange scales underlying the white, so it might just be it's flesh showing. It doesn't look raw or scraped...just kinda light peach. Any idea what would cause this?

Waterproof

OK, I've got the pH to 8.2-8.3, but now the alk is only 5. I can't figure out what the hell is going on. I don't think the low alk will actually hurt the fish, but it could allow pH swings that will hurt the fish. I'd like to get the alk up to at least 8. How can this be done? I think I recall reading that baking soda can bring it up. Will this affect the pH? How does this work (i.e. dose, schedule, etc.)? Thanks for all the help.

J.

Archived