inTank Media Baskets

how dirty is your fuge?

digitallinx

digitallinx

alright, this is my first fuge experience. i've researched this subject before actually starting anything, the benefits and sad points. well it's been up for about one month now. it's an hob on a 10 gallon nano. my main tank doesn't have any corals yet, want to wait until everything is perfect. the fuge is lighted by a 19 watt home depot curly q rated at 6500k, 24/7. it has spaghetti, red, and razor macro algae in it with 3 lbs. live rock and 4"dsb. at times i check the fuge and the light to clean the salt creep and it looks like :x (a night out with dear old jack d). it has sh!t in the caulerpa, looks like peeling skin. it has what i know is a mess of red cyano. it also has a couple of atipasia's and some other slime. but main tank is crystal, except for the ocassional hair algae, here and there. my question, is this right? i see other fuge's on the site and they are better looking then the main tank, in some occasions. mine, looks like this stuff you flush down the toilet. i mean, the nitrates are zero all other readings are perfect, but damn, is this what it should look like or am i doing something wrong. please, input any suggestions and your experience with the wonderful world of the fuge.

thank you and goodnight.........

if the fuge looks nasty but the main tank looks good, and the water parameters test fine, don't worry about it.

my fuge looks like someone booted in a bucket and plumbed it into my tank. I have a slight dusting of green algae on the glass that seems like it might be a corralline as my magfloat won't scrape it off. I get that after two weeks. So, I assume the fuge is doing it's job.

here's a link to spsfrags.com, scroll down a bit to see the refugium algae he is selling. the pic appears to be an overhead shot of his fuge. not a pretty sight.

http://www.spsfrags.com/soft_corals.htm

my fuge looks like s*** too. all kings of slimy algae's growing in it. I don't touch it it's a refugium for all! I Definitely think it keeps the tank more stable, plus the addition of 1/3 to 1/2 of water volume is a plus (4-5 gallons on my 10).

My fuge is not pretty sight, had a bout of red slime and other grren slime algeas in there. Had alot of algea growing on the brillo algae. Alli do now is when i do water changes vacuam out any stray slime. Take the whole ball of brillo algea and rinse it offf in the old tank water to clean off any unwated slime. I also prune it while i have it out the fuge. I lose afew pods but they grow so fast that in a few days the population is back ot normal. But as Crak says as long as the main tank looks good and the water parameters are good.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by hebdizzle

does anybodys smell? I hope when I get one it doesn't.....

When you finally get a girlfriend just make her wash her 'fuge. That's what mine does - and it don't smell! ;)

Originally posted by SeaMountain

When you finally get a girlfriend just make her wash her 'fuge. That's what mine does - and it don't smell! ;)

Im surpised you have a girlfriend with that attitude.

Attitude?!?!?! Attitude?? Wanna see some 'tude just swing on over to JCT.

Must be nice to drop judgement on someone so quickly, eh? Just keep on walkin' sistah cuz I'm a'doin fine! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hebdizzle:

No part of your tank should smell bad - it's a sign that something is wrong. Admittedly, some may not love the smell if they get really close to it, but it should be a healthy "alive" smell. Smell of death and/or sulfur should be investigated immediately.

Chyendra:

It depends on the herbivores, and on what kind of macroalgae. Some of them are tastier than others, and some fish are pickier than others. My Fish-Only tank has tangs and angels that eat dried seaweed daily, but they refuse most macroalgae that I'm growing in the nano refugiums.

Archived