inTank Media Baskets

sun coral

Metznreef

NanoReefer53

im serious :). Cut the top part out of a 2 litre bottle and hook up plastic hose to it. Whenever u need to feed it put the hat over it and drop food down the tube. This way the current won't push the food everywhere.

8_feeding.jpg

a sun coral is definitely next on my list, if i ever can find one that is..  they are the coolest, next to clams of course...=)

rhinoivory

Nanoreefer, thats a pretty sweet idea!

I myself am thinking of purchasing a tubestrea, IMO, they complete a reef, they add vibrance and they really do look good!

Those that are purchasing them, they dont seem to have a good recovery rate, so initial purchase must be wise. A good specimen is generally hardier. Also check that they pulse once lights are out. Sometimes they have been recorded to once added to the aquarium, never pulse!!!!

Don

I got my sun coral over a month ago.  The rock was rather large, with a huge colony (~20 polyps) on one side, and a smaller colony (~8 polyps) on the other.  

The small colony took to my regular offerings of food quite regularly and always comes out at lights-out, and will peek out for a little bit whenever I feed the rest of the tank.

However, the large colony only has two polyps that ever come completely out.  A lot of the polyps are dieing, though.  It's a really sad sight.

I feed them shrimp and/or bloodworm every couple of nights, in a separate tub, so that I can give them a massive amount of food without polluting the tank.  In addition, I add BioPlankton to the tank, which has been used as the sole food by several people, with much success.

Given the sad condition of some of the other sun corals for sale the day I got mine, it wouldn't surprise me if the large colony was already having problems.  I hoped I could nurse it back to health, but I'm beginning to ldoubt that's possible.

They're beautiful corals, but can be real pains in the ass when they decide to be stubborn or "sick."

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

can someone answer a question about sun corals?

the question is:

because they don't get bleaching..... can they live in high temp's?

something like 88-90? (I know they live in this range in the wild but can they live in such conditions in an aquarium?) :confused:

nanoreefer53:

what foods do you feed? and are those suction cups around the bottles??and how long do you feed them for? very great idea. now i want one!!:P

Devil,

My Tubastraea was a very tough coral. My tank got very hot this summer when we lost our AC. I normally kept the tank around 83, but after the AC went out it rose to 88-90 for a couple weeks. The Tubastraea seemed to do fine. Then I left for a week and it got even hotter yet. The temperature must have gotten up around 95 or even higher. That did it. When I got back, the Tubastraea was black instead of orange. Soon all that was left was a bare skeleton.

Tubastraea seems to tolerate a wide range of temperatures. I have kept it in lower to upper 80's in my aquarium, and I've seen it in much colder water (lower to mid 70's) in Costa Rica.

Also, just because a coral doesn't bleach, doesn't mean it isn't stressed. Most nonphotosynthetic corals (which don't bleach because they have no zooxanthellae) often come from deeper water and are adapted to lower temperatures.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

95-that's hotttt!

my guess is that it wasn't only the temp'

but I can be wrong....

the thing is that I know there were researchers that said:

corals start to bleach when the tempw gets over 90

so i asked about non bleaching corals....

(with the thought that the tempw gets up to 95 in the shallow reefs)

and about the argument that "azooxanthella corals live deep"-

acro's and tridacnas live in zones where they get exposed during part of the day... (if you didn't got the point-the temp' in the red sea for example is over 100 during the summer and over 90 in the shallow reefs-I was there and it's hot!)

another thing is tht currently I keep two kinds of anemones in my tank (at 92) and one is simbiotic with zoox'-no bleaching

no death

one has split into two.....

in the wild they live in the med' sea and the tempw range over there is between 60 and 90...

also there are some azooxanthella corals over there that are close to the son coral...

makes you wonder about all the "cooling" stuff. : :blush: ???

Archived