Top Shelf Aquatics

Eclipse 12 gallon Nano

myelin

Here are a few photos from my nano tank today.

MVC-001F.JPG

MVC-002F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-004F.JPG

MVC-005F.JPG

MVC-006F.JPG

MVC-007F.JPG

MVC-008F.JPG

I'm working on a way to keep the moonlight attached to the hood. I'm just too lazy to implement it!

These are from the beginning as a comparison. I'm just another broke college student, so I can't afford a ton of coral, yet. :)

MVC-119S.JPG

MVC-130S.JPG

MVC-151S.JPG

MVC-127S.JPG

Kalanianaole

I feel you on being strapped for cash. Good choice on the bubble and frogspawn in the meantime.

So do you go to NTU? My brother's leaving for Denton in a few hours, cos he's prolly gonna transfer there. Email or PM me as soon as you get this cos I just fragged some anthellia if you'd like it. Hopefully I can coax him into delivering it to you I catch him in time.

Sltwtr4lfe: I made the moonlight from a blue cold cathode tube. I had my gf pick one up at CompUSA. They were out of the 1 tube model, so she got me the 2 tube model. I basically took an old power supply from a cd player, spliced it into the cold cathode transformer, and bam. I ended up clipping one tube off since it was too much light. I'll get you a photo of the setup when I get back home.

BallR: Say foo, what 'chu been up to? Damn, I was just 'round the co'na slangin dat uhhhhhhhh to make a dizzolla. Fa'show, I ain't got no remorse for dem 12 gallons of lovin mang. The only thing buggin' on me is dat acrylic shizzle yo! It be scratchin' mo' than this one time I got wit dis woman, and I had dis' bad itch. Anyhow, do it playa.

Chronicles: I am using 1 32w CSL Retro and a cold cathode tube for a moon light.

Kalanianaole: Small world! Yes, I attend UNT in Denton. I will PM you later and try to see if I can get a frag from you. That would be cool! Maybe I could hit you back someday with something. Hopefully it's not too late!

cjm033: That topoff I have it very simple. You need the following:

1 peanut butter jar

1/4" airline tubing

silicone (I used RTV silicone found in the automotive dept. at Wal Mart)

1/4" mister valve (I found this in the garden center at Super Wal Mart)

Drill a 1/4" hole in the jar, and a smaller one in the top to allow water to escape from the tube. Insert the tube into the 1/4" hole and seal with silicone. Let it dry, then attach the valve, then attach the other piece of airline tubing. I mix kalk and RODI and drip it about 1 drop/20 seconds. I got this idea from another person on the board, so copy away!

Another note, I also have a healthy torch coral, but it fell behind the LR after I was scrubbing the tank.

The tank specs are as follows:

Eclipse 12 Gallon

Aquaclear Mini HOB filter

Aquaclear surface skimmer

Rio 50

Rio 90

50w heater

CSL 32w retro lighting

Cold cathode moon light

black background (reversable to blue)

~22 lbs Fiji LR

~18 lbs LS

15 blue leg hermits

2 Astera snails

2 Emerald Crabs

1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Coral Banded Shrimp

2 Ocerallis (sp?) Clowns

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

I just purchased the coral banded shrimp. So far, the peppermint shrimp and the CBS have been getting along. The CBS does look intimidating, but he is very slow. I will feed him krill (he likes it) so that he won't go hungry and hunt in the tank. The peppermint shrimp has calmed down quite a bit since the addition of the CBS. He doesn't frolick around the tank as much, but he still nips at me when I have my hand in the tank.

One issue I had with the tank before I switched to sand was excess nutrient content. Having a bunch of inverts/fish means that I must feed more often. When I would feed, some excess food would creep between the cruched coral, and thus would harbor algae. I also fed frozne brine, which I believe was full of phosphates. I ran a PO4 sponge, and all seems well.

All of the levels in the water are normal, except for the Nitrates. Nitrates are at about 20ppm. I assume this is because of the bioload from the critters. It really isn't that large of a deal. I change about a gallon each week, so the -trates are kept down to a minimum.

hey can the drips go a little fast and slower if needed?

thanks for the lights pics will be nice and i was wondering if they look good? i heard that leds are the way to go? ohwell i will try ne thing

Tank and setup look awesome! Off topic, but how did you post all those pictures at once? Using a zip file? Was your zip file less than 100k to post those big pictures? I can't seem to post pictures unless I really shrink them down.

Originally posted by KamDesai

Tank and setup look awesome! Off topic, but how did you post all those pictures at once? Using a zip file? Was your zip file less than 100k to post those big pictures? I can't seem to post pictures unless I really shrink them down.

Howdy! What I did was apply for a nano-reef.com web hosting account. I haven't built my nano-reef website yet, so I just uploaded the images to the nano-reef.com webserver. I then clicked the IMG tag, and typed in the location of each photo.

So, basically upload your photos to a webserver (webspace) like Webshots, then click the IMG tag, type in the web address of the photo (eg: http://www.nano-reef.com/koolaid/images/nano.jpg) and click on okay. It is really simple once you get the hang of it. B)

Oh, and my 2 clowns have started to get all snuggly with the frogspawn today. I just happened to look over, and the smaller clown was wiggling away in the middle of the FS. Cool! :)

Archived