SaltCritters.com

37-Gallon Special Order Oceanic Project

OscarBeast

Well here is my new "not so nano" nano-reef. I had been seeking a tank that would be perfectly lit by a single MH bulb as an upgrade for my current 10-gallon nano. The 37-gallon Oceanic Show fit the bill. It is 24½ x 18½ x 21 ½. This makes it very similar to an AGA 25-gallon tank except it is wider. So it holds more water than your typical nano, but takes up about the same space.

This is a standard Oceanic tank, but I wanted cherry trim, so it had to be special ordered and I had to freaking wait for it to be made and shipped from Oceanic (there weren't any at the distributor’s warehouse). I guess not too many people have this tank made with a cherry finish, but I wanted mine to look like the cherry finished 30-gallon cubes.

To save money and retain my Oceanic warrantee, I also ordered an Oceanic unfinished pine stand. I stained it to be a close match to the cherry trim on the tank, and then I varnished it with a marine spar varnish. It isn't oak, but it still turned out pretty nice.

Here is the tank and stand when I first got it:

37tankandstand1.jpg

It will be lit with a 250 watt MH system and I am going to use my existing PC setup for actinic supplementation. It was bought used for $75. I am however now thinking I was just a 175 watt MH though. I don't really think I need to burn the extra power.

250mh1.jpg

I have 65Lbs of LR and a 5" DSB using the all holy SD sand and just a little bit of CC since a little was still in my 10-gallon. The LR was cured for about 4 months in my 75-gallon tank. The Southdown was the YardRight packaging.

lrcuring.jpg

southdown.jpg

Well, here it is on the 24th of July with the finished stand. I still lack a canopy though:

37-gallon7-24.jpg

Here is a picture of it on the 25th with the 5" DSB installed and the LR added. The lighting is still my old PCs that were over my 10-gallon that have been "rigged" to sit on top of the tank.

37-gallon7-25.jpg

And here it is on the 31 all nice and clear with some of the livestock spread around. I still need to move some around as a lot of it is till bunched up or hidden. It took me a while to aquascape. I wanted to get it just how I wanted it. My 10-gallon really wasn't aquascaped that great and I felt I had to make up for it by creating two nice pillars and an arch across the middle of the tank. The middle is designed in hopes of holding a nice big Rose Anemone with a couple of Black Clowns.

Kalanianaole

Yeah, your aquascaping work payed off. Those pillars look dramatic and beautiful.

Has the pseudochromis been jerky to that gramma yet?

Actually I had a little bit of trouble with the Royal Gramma picking on the Pseudochromis at first. The bad part is that I couldn't catch the Royal Gramma or the Pseudochromis to remove them from the tank and put them in another one. I ended up turning out the lights for a couple of days to stop the fighting. On the third day when I turned the lights back on, they don't mess with each other and haven't since. Same thing in the 37-gallon. They swim by each other all the time without so much as a glance at each other now. Needless to say, if anyone wants to have both of these fish, I would highly recommend adding them at the same time.

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

NOT A NANO

But it is beutiful! Nice job.

Nice aquascaping and coral placement, if you ever decide to trade that 250w for a 175w lmk as I have a pfo ballast and 175w mh I might trade if you're not too far or else shipping would probably be expensive.

Thx everyone!

LOL Abs. OK Ok it isn't a nano. It just ATE one of my nanos. :)

Thx cal3v, I may take you up on that. Shipping would really only be around $10-$15 if shipped via USPS Priority.

• 2 weeks later...

OscarBeast still interested? I saw you had posted on RC as well. My reflector is basically crap lol so if you just wanted to do a trade of ballast, socket and bulb for ballast socket and bulb lmk. Thanks!

nice tank and aquascaping... saw a similar tank at Petsmart. was thinking of getting it but too bad I don't really have room for a big tank right now. maybe i'll get one later..

I hate to sound like a broken record but your aquascaping is excellent....

Makes me want to rearrange my rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tank!...since nobody else has asked yet...how much for said tank & stand? I'm eyeing the 30-gal cube/stand combo for $250 in the DFW area. Just curious as to how much more 37 was.

Ross

Korbin's new definition of a nano:

Anything smaller than a TV that makes you go broke.

Really nice tank. I'd set up the same thing if I had the funds.

Not wanting to beat the issue to death. But it must be said, "your aquascaping is excellent" :P Seriously, great job. That picture will definitely be in my mind when I think of starting a larger aquarium for myself.

-mike

Hey ross, he got the tank and stand for less than your 30gal would cost. I would think you could find Oceanic tanks for cheaper since they're based somewhere in Texas? ???

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

It was $110 for the aquarium and $104 for the stand. Muhahah

Note I ordered the aquarium only, so it had no cover or light. Figured why should I pay for the stuff I wasn't going to use anyway?

No pictures of the hood yet as I don't have one yet... :) Right now my old lighting is rigged over the top of it. Very ugly I must say, but it makes light until I have someone build me a nice hood. :)

Originally posted by danano

Cool reefscape!  Looking forward to seeing it stocked up over the next few months.;)

danano lives! Where the hell you been? Post some new tank pictures! :)

That looks pretty slick, Oscar. I really like the cherry finish. I may recommend that to one of my buddies who needs something for his den/office. I think he'd go for that cherry look.

Aquascaping is terrific, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, no updates just yet. I will try to get some pictures after I clean the glass. The coraline algae is growing like mad on the glass. My new rescued puppy had been taking up a lot of my time and spare cash, so no new corals just yet. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update. I got rid of my old percula clown to get this mated pair of black&white clowns in for the wife. They are young so they still have a bit of orange on the face, however it will fade to all back as the get a little older.

blackwhiteclown1.jpg

blackwhiteclowns1.jpg

blackwhiteclowns2.jpg

Archived