Pod Your Reef

Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium

NepTuNe-UsD

NepTuNe-UsD

Has anyone every used Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium? I just bought the stuff and find it difficult to add into my tank without having calcium bits fall onto my corals. The stuff doesnt dissolve fast enough even when I sprinkle it above a powerhead. I dont have a sump that I can use which makes it harder.

I tried pre-mixing an entire scoop into a small quantity of water and then slowly adding that but it made my tank cloudy for 5 minutes.

Any ideas?

I use it, and I have noticed the same thing...

Dont add it to a small amount of water, and then add it, because you are just oversaturating the water with CA. (wont raise your CA levels in main tank.)

I just slowly add it right in front of a powerhead, and yes some falls on my GOB and causes him to retract. I do it right before lights out, so I dont think it really bothers him too much.

I also find that I dont need nearly as much as they say. In my 10g I add a 1/4 of a scoop twice a week and my glass/LR is covered in the coralline.

MrConclusion

Yeah, it is slow dissolving but that's because it has a lot of calcium and not other filler junk. Just drop it in where it tends to settle away from your sensitive corals. I have never seen any actual damage, though.

Archived