ReefCleaners.org

Which filter for 5g ADA tank?

crrichey

I am debating between using the Rapids Mini Canister Filter with a surface skimmer attached or the SubCurrent Internal Wet/Dry Filter by Current USA.

Internal filter link

Canister filter

with

surface skimmer

Space is an issue with this setup. I havn't much room in either the aquarium itself or the stand for the filter. The extra flow and duel outlets of the Current filter would be nice however I also have a Koralia nano. Im not sure what I am going to keep but the possibility to keep anything would be nice.

Could you put a full size canister filter under the tank? I just see that little canister not providing enough flow by itself. The Koralia Nano is going to be a lot of flow for a 5gal tank.

Another option if you can fit it, use a full size canister filter. Many people here have successfully converted them to be more suitable for reef environments. Odyssea has a canister that is pretty good (some of the freshwater guys speak relatively well of it) for cheap, and will provide about 160-250gph flow (depending on head pressure). You will have a lot more volume for media, and with some minor mods you can add a light and grow chaeto in there too.

Just an idea.

SaltWaterNewb

Aqua Clear 20 or 30 should fit the bill. Of you can get an AC70 and switch out the impeller with one out of an AC20. That way you get the size of a 70 with the flow of a 20.

Aqua Clear 20 or 30 should fit the bill. Of you can get an AC70 and switch out the impeller with one out of an AC20. That way you get the size of a 70 with the flow of a 20.

I am wanting to avoid having visible equipment on the back of the aquarium (it has no background). The only reason I was thinking of using the internal filter was that it is just a black box, looks more like an internal overflow than an actual filter.

The main reason I purchased this tank was that it looks like there is just a box of water sitting on the stand. I would prefer that most of the equipment not be seen. However painting the back would take away from the clear box look.

If you are looking for the ADA look, might as well go all out and be an ADA whore and go canister and lilly pipe.

Archived