Cultivated Reef

Any Good Books for filtration, plumbing, sump techniques

Mischeif Nite

Mischeif Nite

I was wondering if anybody knew of any good books that discuss aquarium filtration, plumbing, sump design techniques. I'd rather have a book right in front of me to refer to when I want, instead of jumping all over the internet. I know there's great info all over the net, but sometimes I'd rather just flip to a page the old fashioned way. Thanks in advance, Jeff

Find a book called "The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates" by Martin Moe. It's a little bit dated, but still the best book I have yet seen on the subject. His treatment of the subject of filtration is very thorough and detailed. It is an excellent reference that I think every reef aquarist should have.

Mischeif Nite

Finally, thanks SPS. I figured there had to be a good book/paper reference out there somewhere.

Finally, thanks SPS. I figured there had to be a good book/paper reference out there somewhere.

You should know that the book I reccomended isn't a how-to guide as much as an encyclopaedic reference of aquaculture techniques. The author walks you through all the water chemistry, filtration methods, and husbandry techniques in an almost textbook-like fashion. It is an older book, so expect to read anything about LED lighting, digital controllers, or any of the newer skimmer designs, for example. DO expect to really learn what skimming really does, how a denitrifier works, all the players in the nitrogen cycle, the sulpher cycle, the carbon cycle, etc, etc.

Think of it as a good reference book for the hobby. Not alot of diagrams, but heavy on theory and the science behind what we do. I have been reefing for decades now, and I still find myself referring to it all the time.

thaijungle

Simplified Reef Keeping by Robert M. Metelsky is a great book with pretty much everything you need to know about reefkeeping. The book is great and has a ton of information about sumps, filtration, plumbing. Hope this helps.

Mischeif Nite

Thanks Thai, I'll definitely check that one out too.

SPS- At this point I'm like a sponge (pun intended) sucking in all the info I can to successfully keep a healthy reef tank, so I'll definitely be looking for that book. Thanks

Archived