Pod Your Reef

I need a sump no wider than 8"

Rocket

Hey folks,

My problem is I have a 42 gallon Hex shape tank, and of course the stand is also hexagon in shape. So that leaves me with a door that is 8 and 3/8 wide opening (inches) . I can't cut it wider without risk of structure integrity. I have plenty of height but only 19'' deep. My goal is to have a sump with a skimmer and the heater and possibly a DSB if I can work that into it.

The pump is going to be a slightly used. Magnum 350 Canister filter (just going to pump the water, no filtering)

The question is really can sumps be Very tall compared to the width and length . I always see sumps long, but never tall. If so I am guessing I am going to have to fabricate this myself out of Acrylic.

Any ideas/plans would be helpful. So far I have come up with stacking 2 2.5 gallon tanks on top of each other, and linking them somehow.

i wouldnt do a deep sand bed.. but you can have a sump/fuge of any size and shape you can make... if your going to be using a canister filter fill it with LR, and in your sump area fill with chaeto and your skimmer... if your going to make one dont use acrylic from lowes or home depot... go to an acrylic store and get cast acrylic

Could take three separate DIY tanks the same height and plumb them together below the waterline. Kinda like baffles but not really.

A DSB wouldn't be worth it IMO on such a small space.

The sump on my 33 is 24 tall, 36 long, 4.5 wide. Works fine. Real pita to find skimmers and stuff to fit it, but it works.

Archived