Top Shelf Aquatics

RO systems

j0dy77

Please bare with me I am new to the hobby.

I was looking into Reverse Osmosis systems online today and was a little confused to the difference between them all.

Is there any difference between one made for drinking water and one used for aquariums? I see them advertised differently.

Basically what is the difference between all the RO systems? Does one make or break my tank or will anyone due?

They are the same for the most part, just different configurations typically. The one thing that nobady mentions with R.O. is the TFC or CTA membranes. If you have city water, CTA is what you use, well water...then TFC. Both provide near pure water. But many R.O. units provide more than just a membrane filter. Many of the high quality ones have a prefilter chamber for removing sediment. Some (mostly drinking water models) also have carbon filter chambers for removing colors and smells. As time has gone on, aquarium oriented mfg's have realized the downsides of freshly R.O. produced water (ionic instability after the removal of buffers)...and added Cation/Anion (deionization) chambers to the output side of the R.O. system to stabilize it as well as help it stabilize. The Kent Hi-S systems have additional silicate removal filters that many drinking quality ones do not. It's pretty much personal choice...but depends mostly on the water you are trying to filter: Like I mentioned, first determine if you need CTA or TFC, then consider the chemicals you want to remove (water testing required). Ex: if your water has low/no silicates, why buy a Hi-S model??? If you have to mix saltwater after your R.O., then a DI chamber is not totally necessary either. The best thing to do is contact one of the mfg's like Kent after you have had your tap water fully tested, and let them recomend a solution.

Archived