Innovative Marine Aquariums

15 gal vs 29 gal

Reefer33

I wanted everybody's opinion on which tank to use. I am debating between a 29 gallon and 15 gallon high for my sps/clam tank. I am going use a 70 watt hqi supplemented with pc's so which tank do you think would work out best? Thanks

If it were me I would go with the bigger tank. But it all depends on how much light you can get over it. Do you already have the tanks? If not I would get a shorter, wider tank for clams and sps. Just my opinion though, hope it works out.:)

gargoyleexotics

Bigger is always better tank wise. But if you are only going to use a 70 watt hqi then I would recommend the 15. You won't be able to keep as many clams but that lighting will be better for the smaller tank.

Originally posted by gargoyleexotics

Bigger is always better tank wise. But if you are only going to use a 70 watt hqi then I would recommend the 15. You won't be able to keep as many clams but that lighting will be better for the smaller tank.

The 15 high is the same height as the 29 gallon tank - 18 inches, so as far as intensity goes, there will be no difference. MHs are recommend to cover about 2', so the 29 at 30" long will be a strech, but I think it will cover the tank just fine (this is exactly what I plan on doing with a 175MH!).:P

I don't really have any experience with a 70w MH though. Have you already got the lighting? I don't know if it will be enough to appease maximas and croceas at 18" deep. I mean, it is a MH, but it's only 70 watts! :*(

You could look into a 20 long, they are basically a 29g, only a bit more shallow. Great tank IMO.:)

thanks for the opinions, I am definitely going to have dsb so that will help out some for sure, I just wasn't sure how much it was going to spread out left to right so I figured I would get some opinions. If I get clams I will put them up close to the light I will probably supplement with two 50/50's also so it should have nice light to the tank.

Originally posted by Reefer33

thanks for the opinions, I am definitely going to have dsb so that will help out some for sure, I just wasn't sure how much it was going to spread out left to right so I figured I would get some opinions.  If I get clams I will put them up close to the light I will probably supplement with two 50/50's also so it should have nice light to the tank.

Sounds good.;)

IMO I like the 29 gallon better, just because of its dimensions. The 15 high just looks a little goofy to me - its almost as high as it is long! (This coming from a guy who owns two cube tanks!:P)

Archived