Cultivated Reef

Is the Skilter 250 good?

Kluver

Hi,

I'm getting ready to setup a 20L and although I know if I change my water bi-monthly, I shouldn't need a protein skimmer.

However, I'm still interested in this skimmer...anyone had any experience w/ it? Good or bad?

By the way, anyone have a 20L or similar size? If so, do you use a skimmer?

Thanks!

MaDd HaTteR

I ran a used Skilter250 on my nano for almost 2 years without a problem, my tank did great with itin fact. Since then I have tried a few other brands and am going back to the Skilter ( I only tried others because my skilter developed a crack). True the skilter is noisy but I would trade that for excessive bubbles in my tank and low water flow like I had with the Prizm. If anything you can skim at night, all I do is a water change every week. I know of other who haven't had any luck with the skilter but for my tank it seemed to do well.. and if thinks are good why change, thats why I am going back.

MrConclusion

The real answer is, No, the Skilter is not a "good" filter. It's a cheap piece of junk, but it does actually work and it's AMAZINGLY CHEAP compared to the alternative of buying almost any other filter and protein skimmer separately.

Lots of nano reefers use them because they can actually handle a small tank. Like many cheap filters, the manufacturer's claims of the maximun size tank they'll support is a funny joke.

Plenty of people can point to success with these products, but nobody can really make a claim that they're fantastically efficient or well constructed.

I quote: "I only tried others because my skilter developed a crack"

However, it's so cheap that you can afford to replace it compared to spending perhaps $30 - $50 on a nice aquaclear HOB filter PLUS $100 - $200 for a nice protein skimmer. Almost any good quality stand alone protein skimmer is overkill for a nano tank, so maybe the Skilter is a good option and you have $150 in your pocket for corals!

MaDd HaTteR

Well you can always buy the Aquaclear HOB and spend even more money to buy the conversion kit to turn it into a Skilter clone filter..lol.. Maybe I should have bought a AC HOB instead of this crappy Whisper that stops water flow at least once a day, and yes mine Skilter developed a crack but like I said I got it used from a friend who got it used from someone he knew. I am not saying the Skilter is good or bad.. all I know is my tank ran great for almost 2 years with it and the last month I have had nothing but trouble trying to get somthing that flows contonious water or dosen't fill my tank with bubbles, all I know is I had no trouble when I had my skilter. And if you think about it.. if you omit the skimmer function isn't a Skilter just like a AC HOB? Let me know if I am wrong.

Well you can always buy the Aquaclear HOB and spend even more money to buy the conversion kit to turn it into a Skilter clone filter..lol..

What conversion kit is there for Aqua Clear filters?

MaDd HaTteR

I saw it on another post on a nano board and I can't remember which one.. but they had a link to a url where you could purchase the kit... If I find it I will post it.

You don't need a skimmer. Regular water changes along with good water movement and LR, LS are enough. But, a skimmer will not hurt anything! It is extra insurance. I run a Piccolo in my 10G inside of my AC500. Even with weekly 10% water changes, this thing is always pulling out gunk.

Originally posted by Kluver

Well thanks guys for all the imput.  

Then do I really need any skimmer at all for a 20L? I'm so confused.........

Ive got a CPR BakPak on my 20L and it works great. As far as skimmers go it is relatively inexpensive at around 115$ and with a good effecient skimmer you can go with monthly water changes as opposed to weekly, which most skimmerless nano-reefers depend on for nutrient export.

Red Trigger Fish

I was thinkin bout usin the skilter 44 on my 29 gallon tank until i get enough funds for a sump and protienskimmer...good idea???

Or not?

I have a 20L with the skilter 250. Though i dont use the skimmer...BUT one thing you can do is just shut the air flow it comes with off, and rig up an air stone in the chamber. that works well, and isn't loud. i did that fr a while, then i stoped using the skimmer all together. Along with the skilter 250j i have a wisper 2, and small powerhead in a bottom corner. ev erything is doing awsome in my tank.

Archived