Pod Your Reef

Another "pick my crew for me" post

onthefly

Ok, so it is time! The cycle is finished, no cyano, diatoms, or algae yet, but the LR could use some TLC. This is going to be your garden variety "fish-less" 5.5ga. So that being said, I need something to stir the sand (ceriths and/or nassarius?) and something to keep the glass and LR clean (the usual snails or crabs debate). So, do I forget the crabs and just load up with snail to avoid the potental shell-jacking? Does anyone have a crab/snail combo that seems to work?

As for snail species:

Bumble bee's.........look good, but pretty much worthless

Marg's..............good?

Astrea's...........good, but dumb as snot and will die if they fall

Turbo's............too big!.....demo derby with your corals

Anything else?

Tank parameters:

5.5 AGA

2.5 inches of Quikcrete sand

8lbs of sweet Fiji LR

Temp 82-84 (it's been boo koo hot lately)

pH 8.2

SG 1.023

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 trace

PO4 trace

Alk 3.6

KH 10.2

Thanks, OTF

I don't trust crabs, and I have allot of tiny snails, so I stay away from them...I would only get them if you liked them allot. (or maybe if they had tiny squeegee's in there claws to clean the glass..)

Avoid the evil bumblebee snails.

Stomatella snails are good...get at least 2 of them so they can breed =]

nerite snails are nice glass cleaners

Peppermint snails = they look good, but thats about it =]

Trochus - i dunno.

I avoid margarita snails since there colder water snails and my tank is like 83f+ usually.

I would get something like,

2+ Nassarius snails (they eat meat, so get more/less depending on how much food there will be for them..)

2 Astrae snails

2 Nerite snails

3 Stomatella snails

2-3 Cerith snails.

0 hermit crabs (unless you want em for some reason)

deacon hemp

~-~ has got it bang on imo! but i'd add at least a hermit or two just for the fact that if and when something acually dies they are the first on the scene to devour it!

A snail cant do the clean-up a hermit can do. imo

Here in southern Ontario, there's an infestation of what look like tiny trocchus snails (2mm adult size) that breed like crazy in many reefers' tanks. They're harmless grazers, and their population seems to swing with food availability (a good thing).

My piece of advice: ask any local reefers you know in your area to see if they have reproducing grazers. They'll be cheap (or free) and should scale to meet your algae demand.

Thanks fir all the input!

Went with 3 good sized astreas and 3 small baja red legged hermits......gave them plenty of shells to change into......but I'm sure they fill my eye as I do my daily snail count!

Just these guys alone have really mowed thru all the loose debris that came on the LR and what little algae and diatoms I've had.

Thanks again!

Archived