inTank Media Baskets

glue for mounting frags

Crakeur

well, I've tried them all and I have finally found the very best cyanoacrylate glue for mounting sps frags.

https://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummo...els/default.asp

bob smith industries max-cure.

this stuff is thick enough that it won't run onto the coral, dries slow enough to allow placement but not slow enough that corals topple over. 2 oz for under 6 bucks.

It is repackaged by several frag sellers as their own and sold for 12-15 bucks.

I bought three bottles of the stuff for $20 shipped.

can't beat that.

now, if I can just remember the brand of the tube epoxy I used to mount the plugs. dope that I am, I tossed the wrapper without writing it down.

anyway, thought y'all might find this of some use.

for sure. Im picking up two frags tommorow: Bali Slimer and a Green Digitata and was wondering how I can mount em. I wish I could find this stuff locally. Whats your opinion on mounting frags with epoxy? its kinda bulky IMHO but I havent had much luck with superglue....

I usually don't mount frags with epoxy as the epoxy ends up covering live tissue and, in me experience, has resulted in some die off, or total death.

I did use it for my birds nest and I'm waiting to see if things turn out ok.

morning:

I've found the Hold Fast brand to be better: it's the green/white stick that stays white. Doesn't break down too badly and easy to blend. I think that's what you had in your pics, Crak.

pw_517345.jpg

Opposed to the Aqua Stik, which breaks down the more to goof with it, and in the case of certain "super-efficient" skimmers like the Euro Reef models (I have an ES5-2 on my 65) causes the skimmer to overfoam like a rabid dog.

p_400695.jpg

I did get a tube of the GARF glue from someone (would never order from that place, trust me): sounds exactly like your stuff, Steve. Works well. Only problem with a big tube is only needing alittle at a time: gets dried & clogged up a bit.

Hehe...Ken beat me to it. I use the second one, the Aquastick. It comes is Stone Grey or a nice pink coralaine color. I haven't been able to find the Holdfast locally.

Loctite Superglue Gel...you can get the stuff at Wal-Mart for under $2...its nice and thick..it comes in a cool dispenser thats easy to use and it works perfectly...its what everybody in my area has been using for a while now. Put a little bit on the bottom of the frag..hold it to the rock for 30 seconds..and then toss it back in the tank..works beautifully.

kennard, i was wondering why you said you wouldnt order from GARF? i have been considering their garf grunge at $5/lb to add biodiversity to my tank. are they not reputable? thanx.

How do these glues work for under water mounting. I dont have much room to add small slices of rock with, mounted frags on them, And i do not like removing large pieces of rock to mount a frag on them. A nice glue that REALLY works under water would be great, any suggestions or techniques would be a great help. Only looking for tried and proven methods, not the "I heard you can..." Or a link to a site selling that glue. Need to get advice from peeps that have actual personal experience with a particular glue in mounting sps frags underwater.

The only thing you can really use truly "underwater" are the epoxies..the superglue gels require you to remove the rock and the frag, dab them off, and then join them and place them in the tank. Then again..its a trade-off...the epoxies aren't very "sticky"...I've found the superglue gel to work better. And I agree..working with LR nuggets is a PITA...but if you make sure you wedge them into your rockwork very well (easier said than done..especially with clumsy snails roving around, I know), I've found this to be the best method.

The gel glue that Crakeur is referring to has a super-thick consistency: 3 or 4 times thicker than any of the super glue gels, and a wide tube opening.

Also: that loc-tite stuff is a heck of a lot more expensive than it looks: .14 oz for about $2.99, if I recall. You can get CVS no-name brand super glue gel for about $1.49 for two .1 oz tubes.

A little difficult to read in Crakeur's post, but his tube is 2 full ounces, not .2 oz. Well worth it compared to mashing the crap out f those tiny bottles to get the last two drops that you absolutely need.

ModemMan8:

IN terms of GARF: I ordered from them a long time ago: the grunge is the broken crap, rubble, shell fragments from the bottom of their prop tanks: you're better off getting live sand from a few local reefers or LFS, IMO.

Also, GARF had been the topic of a lot of controversy, including the possibility of doctored pictures on their site, and worst of all: small frags on GIANT plugs: their prop plugs are the size of a jello-shot cup, or if you're too young for that: the cup on the top of a bottle of Nyquil....makes for easy propogation @ the grower, nightmare to mount for the reefer, and forget about trying to cram them into a nano tank.

never tried it. Tubes are good for one shot (zap-gel is the perfect example). Then they dry up at the tip and you end up leaking glue out the back end.

Rock'n'Roll-Girl

can you use superglue on the coral tissue? one of my mushrooms detached from a rock and is healthy but blowing around the sand like tumbleweed. i am wondering if i can use superglue on the underside to glue it back into position?

no glue on the tissue. put the shroom on the substrate and put a cup or some other container over the shroom (put holes in the container for water flow). After a few hours the shroom should have attached itself to the substrate. Then you simply glue the substrate to the rock.

I never do this (lazy) and I have a rather nice collection of shrooms, xenia, ricordia etc in the back of my tank.

Hell: I've glued shrooms before. Key is, it's not very efficient, since they slime like mad.

Crak: It's not the glue i need: it's more room for more frags........

new tank ken. I'm sure kim won't mind a 6th tank

tell her you want to get it all set up and established so that, when you have kids, they won't have to sit around staring at a lame tank like my daughter does

Gee: think that'll work? I was at a client tonight (yep, day off..) and I get a call @ 9 (yes, PM) that the "tank and bedroom" circuit tripped again....after explaining how to reset it, I then had to explain where to find the 11 timers on those tanks (including Kim's 29 freshie planted tank..not listed) to reset them for 9, when they stpped @ 7.

Build a case, and I'll entertain it. Otherwise, get a place with an additional bedroom and I;ll just put the 125 in the room you'll be sub-lettting to me.

Archived