Coral Vue Hydros

Dosing with kent marine for corals?

Rathje70

I was just wondering what any of you were doing as far as additive supplements for your nano reefs. I am currently adding 3 ml of calcium everyday and 6 drops of iodine along with 3 ml of stronium every four days in my 29 gallon biocube. I plan on using kalkwasser within this next week, but was looking to see how other people supplemented their reef and if I was doing everything right.

Feel free to share anything that you do to keep your reef looking great!

undercontrolj

you know i was looking for answers to the same question and know body has responded to me. Kinda sucks when you are new and cant get an answer before we start to kill everything. But i have taken the resounding silence as a "no don't do it" But i dont know what to do.

Bigwavedave

I don't dose. I rely on frequent water changes in my BC14. So far so good. I do keep some buffer on hand in case my ph drops. 10% water changes every 4-6 days is keeping me on target.

Depends what corals you have that may require dosing. More information wil be needed for one of the experts to give you advice. I am just a noob doing my best and reading alot.

jamesnmandy

once you move to a larger tank, which you will, doing water changes every few days is not an option unless you have tons of dispensable time, that being said on my 75 gal setup i dose a two part A&B for calcium and alkalinity which includes trace elements (the Kent Tech CB is a good one from experience), recently bought some jugs of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B, so far so good, seems to work better than the Kent stuff. Water changes are only going to do so much, also depends a lot on your salt mix. The most common brands of salt usually dont even bring the calcium up to the recommended 420ppm range so it has to be boosted with something. Dosing every couple days keeps my calcium around 460-480 and alkalinity around 9-10dkH. I now do monthly water changes, but again, I have a much larger system and it is pretty much matured also.

• 2 weeks later...

please dont tell me your dosing 6 drops of Iodine every day.... if so STOP NOW... first get a test kit.... usually the only reason you would dose Iodine is if you have exessive amount of coral and there using it up as fast as it gets put it... have said that... your water changes will take care of the iodine if you do it Weekly.... i personlly have a bottle of iodine.. and put probably few drops every other water change..

but am gettting to the point where i dont want to dose anything to make tank at all.. i want to go all natural with NO SUPPLEMENTS..

Archived