Top Shelf Aquatics

bulkhead for overflow: bottom or back?

Spencerx

Should i drill the bulkheads for my overflow in the bottom of my tank or the back wall of the tank? is there a differance? preferance? any advantages/disadvantages? thanks

I've done both. Both work well and I really don't have a preference either way. If you do the out the back method you'll need to do something extra to keep the noise down.

When the bulkhead is mounting on the back of the tank you'll want to start with a 2"-3" piece of pvc coming out of it, add a T fitting with one end pointing up and the other end down. The down portion you can plumb to the sump and the up part you'll want to run a piece of PVC up around 6" or so.

What the will do is give the air sucked into the bulkhead an easy escape and you won't end up with the annoying burps and loud gurgles.

Here is a pic that I took of one bulkhead on my 150 system

DSC03647.JPG

I placed a cap on the top pipe and drilled a few holes in it as a muzzle. Works excellent and it's very quiet.

Cameron

thanks alot cam, kinda like a Durso but on the outside? i think i am going to do it on the back just because it will make the stand easier because i wont have to drill it. thanks alot!

Yeah, kinda like a Durso. I love it and I have not noticed a significant, if any really, flow difference between the two options. Glad I could help:D

Cameron

do you have anything on the inside of the bulkhead (inside tank), like a elbow pointed down or anything? know what i mean?

SpencerX - No, I don;t use anthing BUT you can use an elbow....it may keep a little noise down. There isn't any particular reason I don't have one....I just don't.

koj11 - if you can see in the pic I just have a PVC cap with a few holes drilled in it to keep air gurgles and burps down. I think that's what you asking.

Cameron

Archived