Top Shelf Aquatics

What will eat hair algae AND macro algae?

freakaccident

freakaccident

I have an arrow crab but he can't keep up with the hair algae. I need some type of fish that is vegetarian that will eat the crap out of this stuff. My yellow tang loves the stuff in my big tank but the yellow tang is a bit too big for my 10g. Any options? What about a dwarf angel. Something else I could possibly move to the big tank later on?

Thanks,

Aaron

Turbo snails, i recently bought 5 for my 7 gallon and the tank is hair free. I love these things now!

Good luck!

Maybe test for phosphate also or silicates!

freakaccident

I have turbos. They wont touch the stuff. Phosphates and silicates are good. This stuff just grows like mad. I need some way to rid of the macros in this tank too. I dont even know how they got in there. I had nothing in there for a year and without adding anything at all it started growing.

Red moon snails do a pretty good job but are big. I had one in the 6 and it cleared my tank in no time. Problem is when they run out of algae they starve unless you feed them.

ELGORDOINAVW

i have both red and green hair algae also noticed i have some bubble algae what will help out i thought hermits would help with this stuff. what should i do? i use nsw from la jolla and i have no fish in my nano.

Hey Gordo,

Are you getting your water from the nozzle at Scripps? Are you using it straight up or diluting it?

I think an emerald would work for you, espeically the bubble algae, try turbos as well, and lastly, I read somewhere that lettuce nudis will devour anything green. Go to Aquatic Warehouse and see if they have one.

ELGORDOINAVW

onthefly, yeah i use the water straight up no diluting why??? yeah i heard that the lettce nudi will help out alot.

NepTuNe-UsD

I dont know if you guys have gotten NSW from the Scripps Institute lately, but they shut down the nozzle on August 1st. Funding for the institute has lost millions of dollars and as a result there will be no more free filtered NSW :*( .

I have never had a problem with hair algea or bubble algea but for some reason the stuff is starting to grow around my tank. I bought an emerald crab from Aquatic Warehouse and I havnt even seen it touch the bubble or hair algea. I have seen it grab at a mushroom though.

The snails and the hermits have not touched the hair algea either. What else is left??

I don't know about the lettuce nudi idea. I had one and he seemed to eat, but didn't put a dent in my algae. Then he died. And that was it.

Archived