Cultivated Reef

Ideas wanted on new setup

jayk

I've attached a simple diagram of a new setup I'm thinking about. I plan on building the two small hoods myself (just to keep things interesting). Some of the things I've left out of the diagram are a possible protein skimmer (in the refugium) and a heater (also in the fuge). I also envision one or two powerheads in the main tank (possible turning off and on to simulate waves). Questions I have are:

1. Do these small pumps typically have something to stop water from flowing back through them when the power goes off, or do I have to ad a check valve or some other scheme to ensure my fuge doesn't overflow the main tank if the pump stops?

2. Is this adequate lighting in the main tank for clams and/or hard corals?

3. Should I plan on more light for the fuge?

4. Would a 150 or 175W MH be a better choice for the main tank (possibly with lower-power PCs)? I'll probably put the whole thing on a timer where the PCs come on first, then the MH a couple of hours later, and then reverse the sequence at night.

Any and all comments are welcome. The main reason I'm separating the fuge like this is so I can get a good look at what's going on in there.

Thanks,

Jay

you might want to put an overflow in the fuge to prevent backflow. that lighting setup should be plenty for anything you would want. Also, im not sure if its just your pic, but most people put their fans at the ends of the hood. HTH

Archived