inTank Media Baskets

Dying torch head

belallanon

Last night when I looked over to my tank I noticed that one of the heads of my 2 head torch coral was receded and emitting 2-3 mucus strings. I've done a search on the forums and it seems like the head is dying. I'll give it the smell check to be sure. If so, is the whole torch trashed or can I save the remaining head by removing the dead one? How would I go about safely removing the dead head? Thanks for any help.

Randy

Cut the skeleton underneath. I am going to try cutting mine to frag it soon, I haven't done that yet. I've been told it is easy with the right cutting tools.

SeaMountain

I have a 2 head TC on a 'Y' piece of LR too. Every so often mine will recede, pull in tight and emit the same brownish strings. Nothing appears wrong with them and a few hours later, or the next morning they are fully extended and looking great! I don't think you have anything wrong with them. Mine have been in a 10g for over a couple of months now.

Fragging these things seem likes it would make a hell of a mess though. I may just trade mine off as the space becomes tighter.

Thanks for the responses guys. SeaMountain, you are correct. When I got up this morning, I checked on my torch and it looks like it has completely recovered. Phew! What a relief. What would you use to cut the head off? Dremel?

Randy

needlenose pliers, or a rotary tool (this from FlyGTI's advice). And you cut the calcareous skeleton underneath the head, not the head itself.

Chufa that's exactly how I saw the guy at the reef store near me do it. He snapped the skekton about 4-5 inches below the head with the needlenose pliers.

Archived