Top Shelf Aquatics

Keeping my tank cool

shadofax69

Hi, I just received my 2x13W PC's today. The only problem I have with them right now is they heat the water way to much. I have a fan I bought but I have no way to get the lights off the glass on the aquarium to install the fan. I have a 2.5gal aquarium and was just wondering how I could lift the lights off the water and remove the glass so I can use the fan to cool the aquarium. Any advice would be appreciated.

Make a quick cheap canopy with a open back so you can blow air into it. Are the PC's a retro kit or what? Home Depot will cut the wood if you don't have any tools. I used a 8'x6" mdf board for my 7 gallon canopy $5.00 for the wood. It's pretty much just a shoe box lid upside down with open areas in the back for the fan and HOB, very easy to make.

Thanks for the input. I went to home depot and got wood but they have a sign that said they will not cut wood exactly. So I tried to cut it with my little hand saw. That really didnt work out well. Well ill go back and see if they will cut the wood I bought yesterday.

Thanks

Make sure the lights will fit inside the box if you make one. You might have to make it a couple inches bigger than the tank due to the thickness of the wood. Then you can put a small wood rim inside to hold it up ontop of the tank. Even the simplest little box takes a well thoughtout plan to get it right.

I redid mine a couple times because I forgot to add in the thickness of the wood, the bulb fit but not the endcaps.

Later on you can take your time and make a nicer looking canopy for it.

Thanks for the warning. I already have a plan and it is sure to fit. Im going to build the canopy to fit over my aquarium and I have the light on aquarium now so I know it will fit inside the canopy. Then im going to put some small pieces of wood to hold up the glass that the light will sit on. I will then put the fan blowing directly on the water to encourage evaporation cooling.

Thanks

Make sure you have a water top off if you are going to blow the fan on the water. I have my fan half and half, blowing on my lights and the water. You need to keep the lights cool too, it will make them last longer.

Didn't know that thanks for the info. I finally finished my canopy and it is working great in the last hour the fan has pulled the temp down 4 degrees and it is still droping. Point of advice dont use a 1x8 to buid the canopy its way to big I would stick to a 1x6

Archived