Top Shelf Aquatics

How to Remove Leather Finger Coral from Plug

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

I have a green devil's hand leather coral that's on a plug. To remove it, can I just run a razor blade across the base of the plug, freeing the coral, and then place the coral in the location that I want to secure it? Here's a pic.

post-35397-1210034017_thumb.jpg

I have found leathers to be very easy to frag. They are easy to attach also. Just make a nice clean slice with razorblade (I streilize first) then I crazy glue it to a piece of rubble and then mount in place. They are pretty toxic so I cut when retracted out of tank then after mounting rinse in a small container of tank water than replace in tank. They are my favorites to work with no slime but they smell aweful and it's hard to get the stink off you hands when your finished. : )

Shoot Me_I Explode

Try to cut the leather in one clean slice, try not to "saw" your way through the coral as this can damage the leather and cause infections.

Just make sure you leave about an inch of stalk on the plug so it can grow a new piece!

Nothing smells worse than a pissed off leather coral. Try lemon juice to get the smell off of your hands.

I have found leathers to be very easy to frag. They are easy to attach also. Just make a nice clean slice with razorblade (I streilize first) then I crazy glue it to a piece of rubble and then mount in place. They are pretty toxic so I cut when retracted out of tank then after mounting rinse in a small container of tank water than replace in tank. They are my favorites to work with no slime but they smell aweful and it's hard to get the stink off you hands when your finished. : )

wear disposable gloves?

The Propagator

Why remove it ?

Why not just use some epoxy on the bottom of the plug and place it where ever you want it?

If your going to try and attach it to liverock I suggest using some nylon fishing line and sewing it on. This worked great for me, and I did not have to worry about it blowing away.

Archived