Innovative Marine Aquariums

How much Kalk for 5 Gal

kailkaitan

Hi, How much kalk for a 5gallon with no corals. I don't have a calcium tester so I just wanted to know what generally people are putting in there tanks so I can get an ideal average. I just have live rock and a hermit and damsel. Oh, 8lbs LR and 3" Aragonite

I wouldn't just dose kalk without knowing the level in the first place.

Kalk is not necessarly used to signifigantly raise the Ca level in your tank. You might want to use something like Kent Marine Turbo Calcium, or liquid Ca to boost the level. When you get the Ca, Alk, and pH levels where you want them, you are then supposed to drip kalk to maintain those levels.

This is based by general info. that I have collected. Some people might use kalk from day one with good results. I just haven't read about it if they have. I would get a test kit and go from there.

My live rock when I purchased it was beautifully covered in purple coralline and it's been about 1month since I got it and some of the coralline is gone and there are other parts of it that look almost grey so what do I do if it doesn't need calcium?

I only have to NO 15w fluorescents but I'm about to transfer all my rock into a 5 gallon w/2 20w compact fluor. bright bulbs that are 65k. In the next couple of months I'm also going to get a 13w actinic 03.

No bulbs are only good for fish IMO. You REALLY need to drop the $15 for a test kit. What type of salt are you using? How often WC's? I would suggest a buffer like koolaid suggested. I use warner marine calyxmax on my 7 gal. Really this is all moot until you get a test kit. You don't want your Ca any less than 390 for sure.

Well, I have everything transfered into the 5 gallon. I only have a 13w 65k CF on there right now. It has kinda of a blue tinge to it. It's nice. Anyway, I use instant ocean and WC in this tank will be 10% weekly. I also am waiting for the LFS to get in "reef complete" hoping that helps. I have a test kit but I still have to get a calcium kit. My PH is 7.8 (I've never been able to get it up above that) my ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and KH is 12. BTW, if anyone nows how to change the signature please let me know! Thanx

Seabuffer is a good pH and Alk buffer. I've also seem jars of buffer that are titled pH 8.2, and pH up. I would really work on getting the pH up. 7.8 is a little too acidic.

Do you have to add ph buffers daily or is that something you just put in until the water is at the proper ph and just check once a wk or so. I actually have a jar of PROPER PH 8.2 but it doesn't seem to do much. Brings the ph up some and then goes back down in hours....Thanx

I used to add the pH buffer daily in the topoff water. When I got the pH where I wanted it, I stopped using it. Since I have been dripping kalk, the pH has been around 8.1-8.2 w/o buffer.

I had gotten pickling lime to drip but from what I've read there's not enough evap in a 5gal to get the right amount needed in there. that's why I was getting the reef complete. Do you think that the reef complete will help my ph to balance at all.

Archived