ReefCleaners.org

True Or False Perc??

NepTuNe-UsD

NepTuNe-UsD

Hey all, Im thinking of getting either a true or false percula clown for my 20g. What are some thoughts on both?

So far my reef has only one other fish which is a fairly small blue-green chromis. My tank has been established for about a year now.

Any helpful comments will be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------

20g glass aquarium

2 x 55w pc lights (Hamilton)

CPR Bakpak 2R

1 Rio 180 powerhead | 1 penguin 301 powerhead

2.5'' CaribSea live sand

35-40 lbs. Fuji live rock

Does not matter, both are nice. I like the colors on the false perc better, personally.

False percs are cheaper, and are more readily available as tank raised. The latter is a plus if you are environment-conscious. The tank raised ones are very hardy and can be happy without hosting.

NaNO ReeFiN

Aquatic has both for 19.99 I think.. but I bought mine from Petco on Morena basically cause I'd rather have tank raised and anytime I can save a fish from Petco, I will.

One thing to consider is that many stores will sell ocellaris as perculas. Peto, especially. So unless you know the difference you could not be sure what you are getting.

They do very well singly. Pairing them is difficult if they are not small, but mated pairs are supposedly good for life. They sell at a big premium, though.

Chufa,

At my local PetCos, the tag still has the correct species name (Amphiprion ocellaris), even though they call them Perculas. It's at least marginally better than selling them outright as Percs.

Picking up young tank-raised clowns, such as those from Petco, you'll almost never have a problem getting them to form a committed relationship.

Of course, first they'll usually go through the stage where the bride-to-be beats the living #### out of the groom-to-be. He probably didn't get her a big enough rock in the engagement ring....

Those silly clowns, they never learn....

Archived