Pod Your Reef

BIG MOVE!! please view what I'm doing and add your 2 cents!

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

Hey guys... here's the dealio of my tank right now:

15g long

250W MH

35 lbs substrate

30 lbs LR

Possum Wrasse

Two Cleaner shrimp

Hammer

Frogspawn

Zoanthid

GSP

Rics

Candy Cane

Xenia

-----

Here's what I want to do... transfer ALL this to a new 25g which is sitting here right now....

Here's what I'm planning on doing

1. Move all water and corals and fish into a rubbermaid 18 gallon bucket...

2. Transfer all live sand over (w/ the top sand still being on top and the bottom sand still being on the bottom)

3. Arrange the LR into my new tank

4. Add the water from teh old into the new... add new batch of saltwater

5. Let everything settle down (2-3 hours)

6. Add live stock into new tank.

-------

I know there will be a cycle.. or will tehre? My tank is still very young, about 1.5 months after adding in the oolitic aragonite and seeding it w/ some LS.. and curing my LR...

My cycle ended a couple weeks ago.

I am wondering if it is possible to do it this way? I was hoping to have the new tank up w/in a day's worth of work... will the fish be okay? Will I have to reacclimate anything??

THANKS!!!!!!! A MILLLION guyssss

That is exactly what I just did. I kept about 2/3 of the original tank water in the bucket I kept all the critters in and added that back into the tank along with 1/3 of new SW. I did this about 3 weeks ago and am noticing a tiny diatom bloom, but so far everything looks great. Good luck!

Edit... I forgot to add that my tank was established and had been running for 7 months, so you may indeed see another small cycle.

I did that too. I used the same size tank though. My tank was 3 weeks into it, and I didn't have a second cycle - but I also dont have any fish.

My suggestion would be to mix your new saltwater as far in advance as you can. Fresh mixed saltwater is B-A-D bad.

Also, plan on it taking at least 3x longer than it should. Because it will.

Archived