ReefCleaners.org

Now this is a true water tester

SuDo

Hello Everyone

This is what i use to test my water at work :) (tank in my office)

This thing is so cool, It uses plasma to burn water mist and calculate the amount of Na, Mg, K, and Ca in ppm

I get really accurate results, which is pretty sweet.

Here are some pic's

Here is a pic of the sampler tray.

I used 2 samples of water from my tank and here are my results

First sample

Na 33283 ppm

Mg 11529 ppm

K 157.2 ppm

Ca 319.3 ppm

Second sample

Na 33283 ppm

Mg 11529 ppm

K 156.3 ppm

Ca 322.2ppm

Can i calculate salinity based on the sodium ppm?

This is is kewl

Nice green flame, it change colour when water is sprayed onto it, there is a lens that reads the flame and calculated whats in the water. It only take a 2 mins to run a sample and it's a lot faster and acurate when you compare it to a chemical test kit.

SuDo

Dennis_said

That's sweet, why is one reading different from the other?! o_O That machine better get it right for what whichever person is paying for it!

The first sample was taken from the sump tanks, and the second sample was taken from in the tank. I'm no to sure why it's like that. Going to ask the tech that runs this machine and ask him what's going on.

BTW: is my Calcium level to low?(322.2ppm) i only have 2 candy corel, 1 zoo, 1 sroom. (frags) The load is pretty low now, but i'm going to add more

SuDo

So who makes that thing? Aquaclear? JK. We had something like that at Michigan State U. What's the price tag on that sucker? I was always told not to touch the one at MSU because its worth more than me.:o

I have one too:P . That's an ICP, right? We have one, though I don't think I am allowed to give much details about it since we are a commercial analytical company.

Folks, that is a very expensive piece of equipment, not something you can have at home!

Your right Chufa

it's an ICP, we just got the thing in last month (replaced our old one). Not sure how much it cost...but i know it's a lot. Total time to run one test is about 2min per sample, as you can see on the sample tray, i can run a 50 or 100 samples at once.

Cheers

SuDo

Can i calculate salinity based on the sodium ppm?

I think yes, at least roughly.

ppm=mg/l

PSU Seawater salinity in Practical Salinity Units,PSU (numerically equivalent to g/kg, or g/l if we take a density of 1)

So, 33283 ppm=33283 mg/l or 33.3 PSU, which is exactly the average salinity of coastal ocean in San Francisco bay.

At our lab we do that testing for a fee. We do that analysis for food and feed testing (i.e. nutritional labeling). The fee for one test is similar to the cost of a test kit, so that's why we don't see many aquarists sending us samples.

Archived