SaltCritters.com

SKIMMER QUESTIONS

chuckfullservice

chuckfullservice

It state in the instructions to put the water level high enough for the bubbles to reach the top of the reaction chamber.

I did this but nothing seems to be reaching the collection cup .

So here are my questions

1. Should the bubbles reach the top of the reaction chamber or the bottom of the collection cup?

2. How long will it take see debris in the cup?

3. How exactly does a skimmer funcetion?

Well thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Chuck!

When you remove the cup, the bubbles should go to the top of the opening. I have the Oceanic skimmer on my 14 and empty it about every 2 days.

Matty1124

skimmers have a break in period... just let it run like they say in the instructions... after about a week it should be broken in... skimmers work by creating small bubbles which hydrophobic organic wastes cling to and when they rise up into the cone of the skimmer the become join with other bubbles and form larger bubbles these then are pushed up and into the cup... after a few weeks the skimmer will be fully broken in and you should be able to adjust the type of skimmate your skimmer will produce...

chuckfullservice

Its working fine now ! It did need to break in . It is alittle tempermental with the water level but works well.

I did notice that I have to top off now almost everyday . So I would say that using a skimmer does have a small down side - inceased water evaporation! Thanks all!

Archived