Innovative Marine Aquariums

New 29g Pics!

MacnReef

Okay, I had originally set-up a 29 with a prizm skimmer. But after finding out that thing is a POS....here is my new set-up. I now run a 10g sump with a mag7 return to a SCWD. I also run a protien skimmer in the sump that is rate for 125g.

Here is a fullview!

Well, like an idiot, the cameras settings were all messed up and I could only get 15 pics and I though I could get 50, anyway I only got a few good pics and I sized them at 350 and that is too big here so I resized three at 225. I will look thru the ones I have to see if I can get a better pic!

Mac, nice compact 29g setup!

I just setup my 30g several weeks ago. 12g DIY sump/fuge is in progress. At the same time, I'm still maintaining my 10g nano.

I plan to use the SCWD as well for my 30g. How do you find it? I know it's rated 50gph up to 1400gph. However, from your experience, what is the minimum return pump flow rate you would recommend for it to be effective in a 29/30g tank?

i swear i read on RC you were using a mag 9.5? not true? how often does it switch with this size pump? hows the flow coming out of it?

Like always the SCWD is the talk of the tank. Well, I use a Mag7 but I may upgrade to a Mag9.5, just for more flow but that will be later. I have no other circulation in the tank but I think the flow is almost perfect, just a little more from a Mag9.5 would be perfect. If I put in a Mag9.5, I will have to redue my sump because of the bubbles, I will prolly have to get one made out of acrylic or find a glass aquarium that is the same dimensions, just like 4" longer. It switches every 6 seconds. and I think the max would prolly be a Mag9.5, because I have heard complaints from people that use a Mag12 or larger.

Well, hope that helps, but besides that I would recommend the SCWD to anyone!

• 2 weeks later...

My lighting is finally here!:)

I ordered a 30" fixture from Pet Supply Liquidators and it came last Friday, so of course as soon as I got home, I hooked it up.

The fixture included a 175W 20K halide, and two 55W power compacts (actinics), and a 3" fan. I must say that the color of my corals is a lot brighter!

The heat is not an issue and I only have the halide 4" above the water surface. Currently I am only running the halide for 4 hrs a day and slowly raising it 15 mins per day. I will try to get a pic later this week!

Also, I switched from kalkwasser to Ocean's Blend part A & B. With the kalk I could not get my calcium and alk up to where I wanted it without my pH rising. So for now I am back to two part supplements, but will have a calcium reactor in about a month.

Just wanted to give an update and I will have more pics later this week!

MacnReef: That setup is looking sweet!

Very nicely done.

PS I have the Prizm too. Been running it for more than a year now. For some dumb reason its working better then ever before.

Anyway, your setup looks awesome. :)

Archived