Top Shelf Aquatics

Tunze 9002 problems?

lemmy_01

I installed a Tunze 9002 lastnight and I am not sure if it is working. If you pull the body halfway out of the water, you can hear and see the water spraying out of the tubeing. But when I lower it back into the water I see no water movement at all and ZERO bubbles. Did I get a lemon or is this the break in period.

all skimmers will have a break in period. Open the air valve so the bubbles are forming just at the black lip or slightly bellow when the cup is removed.

when it breaks in and finds a bioload, it will spill over into the cup.

make sure the water level is close to the line on the side of the skimmer

i don't know if water is supposed to be flying out of the tubing, maybe something came loose, the skimmer is super easy to take apart and see if eveything is hooked up correctly

haha, great! d'oh :D

that skimmer rocks, i love it, after you get it tuned in, you will never have to again

Yea it seems like it is gonna work great. I do like having the extra room in the back. I am wanting to try a fuge cheato setup like pwoller has but I have never setup a fuge before.

the only problem with doing that is you are going to lose your sponge or floss bellow the skimmer grate. You could run the chateo above that then a spong bellow with a media basket.

I really don't see the need for chateo, my nitrates are 0...

If you want a media basket let me know, I am making lots of them for members. You could run cheato in a top shelve, then run a sponge and your other media bellow. you would just need a small led light to mount in the lid.

do you have your skimmer by the heater chamber or under the grate?

At the moment it is under the grate. I then have a pura filtration pad on an eggcrate catching all debris. Thanks for the offer of the basket but I love my projects too so I may just make one later. You also told me earlier that if I put in new live rock it should throw me into a "mini" cycle. What can I expect from this cycle cuz I gotta get one more piece of rock.

cool.

Just buy a fully cured piece of rock to limit your cycle. If it comes from an established tank and is transfered in water, you won't have an issue

Ok thanks. I figure the reason my tank cycled so quickly was because the live rock I bought to begin with was at the lfs for a long time. They said it had been in the tank for 3 to 4 months. I would like to add some new sand also but not sure I wanna put the fish through the sand storm effect.

how much sand do you have currently? If you do, rinse it out well and add it slowly, the fish will live!

I probably have about 3 to 3 1/2 inches. But I was told the deeper the bed the better so I was just giving it some thought. I already love this skimmer. We should start a group called "rsm after micro bubbles" lol

haha, i'm in that group for sure!

A DSB only takes effect after 5"+ from what I read. It is best to have aroudn 2" or 5+ inbetween can lead to detritus buildup. I think if I were to do anohter tank I would do a bare bottom or just slight sand so I could keep it clean

Yea that is kinda what I was worried about. I am thinking of getting sand sifting crabs to airate the bed. Have you heard any good or bad stories about these crabs?

Are the nass snails the ones that live in the sandbed and pop out when food is introduced on top of the sandbed?

yes, they don't do a super job with the sand, nothing that I have tried really does by my own hand. They eat junk that lands on the sand

coachfraley

I also just bought a 9002 and set it up last night! It took about 4 hours before the bubbles started to come up above the bottom of the cup.

I am a total noob to skimmers, and I was wondering what I should aim for as far as fine tuning it. Do I want the bubbles to be constantly "overflowing" into the collection cup, or do I tune it so that the "head" of the bubbles is always on that line at the bottom of the cup. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Archived