SaltCritters.com

Coraline "Issue"....

Deimos

Hey all,

I know I'm sweating the small stuff...but this has kinda been bugging me.....why the heck isn't coraline algae growing on my glass? It grows on the rock, on the overflow for my skimmer, on the powerheads, on the heater...but not on the glass! lol. Just wondering what the heck is up with my glass that coraline isn't growing there.....(I've had this issue in some of my tanks before as well...and I'm wondering if its just me or what?) Corals are all calcifying..things look good...just want some purple glass darn it all! lol.

Just a lil pet peeve...later...

By your comment it seems that it has grown on some of your tanks in the past. Meaning it can't be you (yes I know you were kidding). If it was all of your tanks I was going to ask you how you clean your glass and with what. I wanted the secret to keeping if off at least the front glass without elbow grease!

try not cleaning where you want it to grow. all those other surfaces are never touched by you, chances are only the glass.

the coralline spores needs a couple of days to take hold. for instance, if you ignore the sides for a couple of days and then lightly clean them you should start seeing spores take hold (assuming good ca/alk levels). hth

I don't ever clean the back or side glass...so that can't be it. Alk/Ca levels are a fairly constant 3.5 meq/L and 450-465ppm respectively (maintained with B-Ionic)..which is why I'm getting good coral and coraline growth on the rocks and heads and overflow, etc. Its just the damn back glass...lol. I've got tube worms growing on the back and sides...but no coraline. Just frustrating..lol. I dunno..maybe I've got too many snails rasping at the glass all the time for it to really take off...just a thought I had today while watching the turbos out grazing (and knocking over my tri-color acro..damn reef cows..lol). Guess I shouldn't complain since this is really my only "problem"...its just annoying. ahh well...off for more observation so I can find out exactly whats going on....

Thanks...

that would depend, are you talking about:

Lithothamnion sp.

Mesophyllum mesomorphum

or

Peyssonnelia sp.

:P Shouldnt WE use scientific names??

Seriously though, corraline wont grow where you want it to. Mine is like yours although, I do get specs on teh glass here and there.

The second rule of Coralline, it doesn't grow the color you want. I have big round spots of grey and olive green. It looks like crap. There's purple in between, but the grey is out competing it.

"the third rule of coralline club is that you don't talk about coralline club." :P

t-ray,

i pick Mesophyllum mesomorphum. prettiest and most like monti caps and/or turbinaria imo. the po'man's wannabe sps corals (without actually being sps corals).

i agree with $2, increased flow will also significantly promote growth from its (waterflow) action as the vehicle for sporation/reproduction and passive feeding.

deimos,

how's your Mg? overdose that baby and you'll see your coralline go nuts. (don't really od, i'm jk ;) ) try kent's or seachem's instructions for boosting Mg for a while. you should see results creep onto the glass (the most inopportune surface for the coralline usually, hence the last place populated). the MgCO3 is a big contributor to coralline structure besides its central role (literally) in the chlorophyll molecule.

Originally posted by tinyreef

"the third rule of coralline club is that you don't talk about coralline club." :P  

t-ray,

i pick Mesophyllum mesomorphum.  prettiest and most like monti caps and/or turbinaria imo.  the po'man's wannabe sps corals (without actually being sps corals).

I agree. When I saw it I was like : OOH I WANT :

Archived