Coral Vue Hydros

Changed substrate today

myelin

I changed substrate today from cc to about a 2" LS bed. I needed a new trashcan for my apt, so I got a new one from Wal Mart. I took everything out of the tank, put in all in the trash :D and layed down the sand.

Long story short, it looks a ton better. I found that a 20lb bag was perfect for my Eclipse 12 gallon.

Photos will come with the sand storm (no, not Darude!) settles down.

I just did the same thing a few days ago. I have a question, did your tamk start a new cycle all over again? Boy mine sure did. I had to put anything that was living into a different tank in oder to keep from killing them.

I'm not sure if it is going to go through another cycle or not. I have cured LR, and I added LS and got rid of the CC. I also used a good portion of the "old"water, and filled the rest with new water. I'm going to do all my testing today and see where I am at.

Dennis_said

I don't believe there will be a cycle... well if there is, it would be a mini one.. .because you are adding in fresh sand... if you transfer an existing sand bed to another tank, then there will be deaths and thus the cycle...

I could be wrong of course =)

I didn't have the LR out of water for long. I had it out for less than a minute in open air. I would think die off from the LR would cause ammonia to spike which should be taken care of by the LS and the cured LR. I guess I will know for sure if I get a large ammonia spike today, followed quickly by nitrates.

I am going to keep a very close eye on things today. Also, what is this stuff called Prime I hear about?

FYI, I did all my testing and I seem to be okay.

SG: 1.0235

pH is low, around 8.1 - I'm adding buffer tonight with a water change

Alk: 4.5-5

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 20 - going to do a water change, this is probably die off from the LR

Free Ammonia: 0

Total Ammonia: 0.1

Not too shabby. All the corals have come out fully, and the inverts/fish seem to be doing well.

I will keep everyone posted with what happens.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but was worried about another cycle.

please let us know how it turns out, curshed coral is a freaking mess.

Archived