Coral Vue Hydros

Using controller to adjust temperature

YeahitsK

Just wondered how people typically use their Reefkeepers or Aquacontrollers with regards to heater control. Do you set the temperature adjustment on your thermometer to maximum and have the controller turn it off/on to keep temperature within the set range, or do you just adjust the temperature on the heater normally and set it to be always on? Some combination of those two options? If it's set to be always on then I don't understand the advantage of having "controlled" heating or cooling for that matter since thermometers and chillers can regulate temperature by themselves without a controller.

I set the temp on the heater at 80 then I set the reefkeeper at 78. That way the heater only comes on when the temp goes below 78 with the heater set to 80 if the rk2 malfunctions the heater will at least cut off at 80. The entire heating and cooling temps I use are heater turns on below 78, I have a fan that turns on at 79 and then off once the temp goes below 78.5. By using a controller you can prevent the heater and chiller from fighting each other.

Chaney

masterbuilder

I keep my tank at @78.6

I use my controller to maintain my temp.

1. Thermometer set at 79.5

2. Controller set to turn heater on <78.5 amd turn it off a >78.6

Reasons:

1. I have an easy way to adjust and turn off the heater. No digging around behind the tank trying to unplug it and can tweek the settings if I want very easily with the controller.

2. If the heater fails and and gets stuck on...controller overides it and maintains the temp at @78.6 A Safety.

3. If the controller fails, the heater will still keep the tank from getting too hot or cold. A Safety (depending on the controller failure, it may not be able to keep it from getting too cold but will not go above 79.5)

4. I have the ability to control the thing from the controller and I like gadgets.

The same would hold true for a chiller.

I'm starting to get it. Thanks for the replies. The safety/backup aspect makes perfect sense now that you folks mention it. And I like gadgets too.

Archived