Top Shelf Aquatics

pair of clowns

bertz_maru

ok.. i think they maybe in the process in becoming a mated pair.. one seems to be more dominant than the other so i think this is the female.. right? and the other is the male.. right? well how long does it take for them to be ok with eachother? the male seem to be hiding behind the rock and i barely get to see him... the other one is out and about and when the male comes out she will attack him then he will start to twitch then he will go hide again.... this has been going on for awhile now.. the female is gettin bigger while the male looks smaller.. how long will it be until they both are mated.. i heard that once mated they will never leave eachother site... how long until this happens?thanks

bert

well how long does it take for them to be ok with eachother? the male seem to be hiding behind the rock and i barely get to see him...

you're not married are you? just a wild guess. :rolleyes:

one seems to be more dominant than the other so i think this is the female.. right? and the other is the male.. right?

at least you know what to expect in the future. :D

i heard that once mated they will never leave eachother site...

well, unless you let a divorce lawyer/shark in there, probably forever or until the male decides to go carpet surf for nemo. X)

the twitching is a submissive dance, i believe (or the usual male cowering). it sounds like they're already mated. whether or not they'll ever actually mate is of course up to the female (as usual). :unsure:

yeh but when will the male come out from behind the rocks? he is still hideing...

AHA! you ARE single still! :D

yeah, eventually as the female accepts him and no longer sees him as a potential competitor but rather a consort she'll learn to tolerate him. the male will learn how to act (i.e. stfu and just nod his head).

if he is out of sight during feedings then you may want to target feed him when feeding the female. she'll be too preoccupied eating to bother him then (just like humans).

'he' wasn't a previous female from another tank was 'he'? if so, they'll never mate as 'he' can't change 'back'.

i dunno... i got both of them when the were little... the male has battle scares and is looks rough.. some times when i walk in i can catch the female latch on to the male.... sigh.. poor guy.. all he does is sit in a cave.... he seems to be losein his color also... should i take him out?

try target feeding (if he's not able to eat) or removal for a while to let him catch his breath. the female could just simply not like him. size matters to some women, i guess. :blush:

if he's constantly being beat on it's obviously not conducive to his health. a trial separation or extra tlc may help them get over this difficult time. (btw i use to pay $150/hr for that bit of advice X) )

thanks for the advice.. if this manner keeps up i guess ill remove him... sigh.. poor guy --> *thinking bout tinyreef*

Archived