ReefCleaners.org

Tank Plumbing Suggestions

Zac

I am int he process of setting up a 37 gal. tank with a 10 gal. fuge and a 20 gal. sump. The set up is as follows (from top to bottom):

---The fuge will be fed via 1/2 bulkhead from the sump. It will gravity drain directly into the tank via 1/2 BH inside a small corner overflow.

---The main tank is also fed from the sump via 2 or 4 BH. Their size and number has not yet been determined. Drain for the display is via a 1.5" located in an overflow box in the rear center.

---The sump will house the heaters and a small skimmer. The

pump will be located outside the sump.

(NOTE: The fuge and display will be fed from the same pipe from the pump that will be Tee'd off and reduced to feed the fuge.)

My Questions are:

---What size and brand of pump would be best for a turnover rate of 12-15 times for the display and 3-5 times for the fuge?

---I have the option of putting up to 4 different inlets in the rear display wall. What size BH and how many inlets should be used?

---Should a SCWD type device be used? Possibly SCWD on two inlet and constant flow from the other two?

Any help would be great

Zac

Since no one responded I'll give this a shot.

Let's see: 37 gal times 15x turnover = 555 GPH

I would definitely use a SCWD. I tried one out on one of my tanks, and I think that whenever any of my tanks have a return line, I'll put a SCWD on it. They can cut the flow a good deal though, so you'll need to oversize your pump.

IMO, I would go with only two outlets run by the SCWD (3/4"). I tried splitting my return four ways, and it just didn't give enough umphhh to each of the lines.

I see that you are running an external pump. If noise is an issue for you than you could try the new line of Quiet One pumps. If it's not an issue, then try an Iwaki, which are the exact opposite of quiet. The WMD30RLT has a flow of 510 GPH at 4' of head.

Archived