Top Shelf Aquatics

API - PO4 TEST KIT

dopamine

Hello Friends-

Question, I got a cyano problem from being away and it was starting before I left. My API test kit card shows a really light yellow green as 0 to a dark blue as 10.0.

My results for both tank and mixed water show about the same as a clear/slight yellow color. No where near green. What does this mean?

phosphatecolorchart2.jpg

my test results look like the 0 reading on the freshwater card, if not more clear.

I get the same thing mate. It bugs me. Hopefully someone here can sound off on it. Perhaps a bad batch of test kits? Or not looking at it under true white light instead of some yellow tinted light?

Oh and you will get zero if you have cyano as the cyano is taking up all the PO4.

UH

well schit. I am looking at it under all sorts of lights.

I dont know if it will show zero, but understand what you are saying. I might need a test kit that will test lower ranges.

I have insane amount of flow in here. I dont over feed, hell I barely feed. I sometime feel bad for the clowns.

ohhh.....should I remove the cyano or should I try to fix the problem and it will disappear? I can pretty much scoop think plates of it out that is on the top layer or sand bed. I have scooped before but was wondering if I fixed the problem if it would just disappear.

well...I added a koralia 1 in the corner, unfortunately where the fish sleep, and now am able to point some heads in the direction of where the cyano is building up. It looked much better this morning without removing any of the cyano manually.

Found the smallests clownfish in the 3rd chamber this morning. He was sleeping so I thought I could just scoop him but he woke up and it took forever to grab him by hand.

soo...still dont know about those PO4 readings.

My test kit shows the same pale yellow/green color.I also had a bad cyano break out.I did 20% water changes, added more flow,didn't run the daylights.That crap would come back just as strong the next day.ULTALIFE RED SLIME REMOVER!!!The stuff is great.I did a smaller than recommended dose,2 days later all clear.

crazy, have you seen it since or had to dose again?

I really dont want to dose anything, I would like to find the root of the problem.

Archived