Coral Vue Hydros

Got it down now.....

The Propagator

The Propagator

After testing EVERY DAY for fugging damn near TWO WEEKS I have a fairly accurate daily comsumption level for both my alkalinity and my calcium.

( "Why so long?" I wantted to be sure it wasn't some sort of wacky spurt or other chemisty problem)

I am loosing about .75 dkh alkalinity per day and about 20 ppm worth of calcium per day.

For now I gathered up a bunch of old water bottles and filled them with the proper amount of R/O water and baking soda today to use each day until I figure out some sort of DIY dosing methos or I buy a pump :D. I was planning on either making or buying a calcium reactor but since the consumption isnt that bad I think I'll just continue to does Seachem's Reef complete.

That way I can maintain both mag ands strontium in one shot. I can get that stuff fairly cheap by the gallon now so that shouldn't be to much of an issue.

I may look into a kalwasser reactor or doser and kill two birds with one stone if it will provide enough calcium?

Neve rmessed with the stuff long term. Any one have any input on it?

Glad to hear that you found the sweet spot Prop. You might remember me posting a similar thread as yours about my Alk/Ca imbalance issues. Like you, after about two to three solid weeks of testing and fiddling around with 2 part amounts, I finally have it down now. Feels nice to have it back under control doesn't it.

I've dosed kalk. If you're gonna do some sort of DIY you need to be careful about overdoses. I currently add mine to my top off water. I have a few checks in place to keep everything OK. First, it's dosed with an aqualifter pump. It adds the kalk very slowly. An airline tubing valve can be placed inline to further slow the flow.

Second, I use a JBJ ATO. It will auto-matically shut off the ATO if it runs longer than 3 minutes. Third, when Kalk is over dosed it usually has the effect of raising Ph. High Ph encourages precipitation, therefore I have my controller set to turn off the ATO if my Ph gets .75 above my average daily high.

You can setup a recator on a timer with a slow dose pump, but I'd reccomend more than one failsafe.

I'm pretty sure you have more SPS than I. Kalk alone couldn't keep up with the demands of my tank. I no do a combination of both.

The Propagator

Thanks for the info Bdare :)

Yeah I have more sps then most Local LFS do ! :lol: ( no joke. I have about 120 frags and around 13 colonies). Then another 27 frags and colonies of LPS. Plus a crap load oz zoanthids, Kenya trees, and leathers in this tank.

It eats it up man.

I think I will get an aqualifter pump. Thats made by Toms right?

I think I will also set my ATO back up or buy an ATO brand Auto top off.

I used to have an a DIY auto top off set up but the float would stick frequently or the reed would bur out and stick on creating a mess.

Yeah I have more sps then most Local LFS do ! :lol: ( no joke. I have about 120 frags and around 13 colonies). Then another 27 frags and colonies of LPS. Plus a crap load oz zoanthids, Kenya trees, and leathers in this tank.

I want some... I really don't have any room in my tank for any more SPS, but I'd be happy to take some LPS / zoas off your hands. Looks like overnight shipping from Cinci is getting up there.... Close to like $80. You ever shipped zoas 2 day? Can it be done? The weather is pretty dam nice here right now.

Archived