Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I need a sump no wider than 18"

glennr1978

I'm working on getting my 30g cube up and running, but I need a sump for it. The problem is that it can't be more than 18" wide so that it will fit in the stand. I also would like it to hold atleast 12 or so gallons of water. What should I do?

I'm really not interested in ordering a custom sump if there is another option.

Did you give up on the wood and fiberglass idea already?

No not at all. In fact I'm thinking I may just build it directly into the stand. That way it could all be one complete piece, have a bit more space, and I think it would add to the structural integrity of the stand. I'm thinking I could do three sides wood, and the front glass so I can see what's going on in there. What do you think, good idea?

No not at all. In fact I'm thinking I may just build it directly into the stand. That way it could all be one complete piece, have a bit more space, and I think it would add to the structural integrity of the stand. I'm thinking I could do three sides wood, and the front glass so I can see what's going on in there. What do you think, good idea?

I think it sounds like a SAWEET idea. I'd love to see it!

What kind of wood? Water (especially salt) doesn't work well with wood. :D

Nice.

I was up late last night doing some research and browsing around the site and found these two really helpful videos on youtube.

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for a protein skimmer? I have a 25G tank with a few zoas and I've read that skimming will take away all the nutrients etc that the coral and live rock need so I'm going to have to end up putting in trace elements. I'm fine with that, I'd prefer to control the water quality by skimming it and adding elements when necessary. I had my eyes on the Red Sea Prizm but I've seen mixed reviews. Since the skimmer is going in my 10G sump I'm going to need something fairly small. Any one have any recommendations?

Nice.

I was up late last night doing some research and browsing around the site and found these two really helpful videos on youtube.

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for a protein skimmer? I have a 25G tank with a few zoas and I've read that skimming will take away all the nutrients etc that the coral and live rock need so I'm going to have to end up putting in trace elements. I'm fine with that, I'd prefer to control the water quality by skimming it and adding elements when necessary. I had my eyes on the Red Sea Prizm but I've seen mixed reviews. Since the skimmer is going in my 10G sump I'm going to need something fairly small. Any one have any recommendations?

AquaC Urchin would be a good choice. I had one for a long time that worked great. It's got a small footprint and put out lots of skimmate for me. They also come up for sale used fairly often!

I can't seem to find the link Glenn, id I do I'll comd back and post it, anyway, i saw a guy who made a sump out of a 7 dollar rubbermaid container, then he put another container inside of that, instead of using baffles. it was a pretty neat setup!

dang it, i wish i could find that link, i'll go look some more!

I think it sounds like a SAWEET idea. I'd love to see it!

I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going to take. I really need to be able to maximize space for the sump so this seems like the most logical solution.

What kind of wood? Water (especially salt) doesn't work well with wood. :D

Yeah I know, I'm going to seal it up with fiberglass. It should be okay. I think I'm going to use 1/2" MDF that I have left over from building my canopy on my 40g for the back piece. Once it's all sealed up I'm sure it will work fine. The only thing I'm concerned about right now is wether or not the fiberglass will bond well with a glass front panel. I'm not sure about that one. At worst I will have to seal up the front with silicone....I think. Should be a fun little project. I may get started on it within the next couple days. If not it will have to wait about a week and a half due to my work schedule.

i've plumbed a bunch of rubbermaid tubs together for a sump and had no problems putting in bulkheads. the only problem is the thin wall will crack if it is hit too hard, for example pushing on the drill too hard and the drill lunges into the tub and cracks it.

but i think the fiberglass idea would be much cooler

i've plumbed a bunch of rubbermaid tubs together for a sump and had no problems putting in bulkheads. the only problem is the thin wall will crack if it is hit too hard, for example pushing on the drill too hard and the drill lunges into the tub and cracks it.

but i think the fiberglass idea would be much cooler

Multiple rubbermaids would be great, but won't fit. The fiberglass idea should be pretty easy in theory, we'll see how well it works out in practice. I'll start a build thread on this tank pretty soon and keep you all updated on it's progress.

AquaC Urchin would be a good choice. I had one for a long time that worked great. It's got a small footprint and put out lots of skimmate for me. They also come up for sale used fairly often!

Thanks!

I was just checking it out on Marine Depot and it's on sale right now. What about the Remora?

Thanks!

I was just checking it out on Marine Depot and it's on sale right now. What about the Remora?

The remora doesn't go IN the sump.

Archived