Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moving tanks?

eddie29

I'm moving my 2 month old nano tank over to a 16 gallon bowed. THe question is will I experience another cycle if I add some more live rock cause I only currently have 8 lbs of marshall island rock? I plan on using the same sand and taking the rock i have from my current nano and moving it over.

Thanks

Eddie

New LR can always cause another cycle (especially in large quantities). However, if the rock is well cured, you should be able to prevent it. Also, you could use the new tank to cycle the new rock before the move.

I would consider using dead rock (as it will become LR over time). Otherwise you could introduce the new LR slowly (over several weeks while closely monitoring your water parameters).

I would but the problem is this tank is drilled and my mh hasn't arrived yet so I really can't do much to the new tank till my stand is done as well.

Eddie

The cheapest and fastest way is to use dead rock. It won’t cause a cycle because there is nothing on it to die. Until you add more livestock, you won’t need much more of a biological filter so you should be OK until your rock becomes LR. Your existing LR and sand will seed it fine. As always, add new livestock slowly.

try Aquariums etc. that place i was telling you about. they have great live rock for 6.50 lb. it didn't affect my water quality at all

7561 78th and state avenue KCK. west state plaza, or look 'em up in the phone book.

sorry to all of you people who don't live in Kansas City

Dang i'm sorry for you guys that do. $6.50 A POUND!!! That is the most I have seen for rock, It has to be because you live in kansas.

I usually get mine for around $1.50-$4.00 per pound in southern california.

Nothing against aquariums etc. it's just I have never seen it for that much, unless it's with shipping included.

Archived