ReefCleaners.org

Help, getting ready for a new addition!

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

Hi all!

I have been thinking about my second, and probably last addition to the tank for fish... I currently have a false perc clown. My first choice was a royal gramma fish.. but the lfs told me he didnt think he would leave the clown alone in such a small area. So I am moving to a more peaceful fish... a fire globy.

Can anyone tell me what the diffrence, if any, is between the red fire golby and the purple golby???

Thanks guys!B)

newbiefishgirl

holy crap! do they need a running start??? or they can just jump straight up?

did that fish get hurt.. from hitting the top of the tank? Will mine get hurt on my hood over the tank?

newbiefishgirl

I have seen quite a few ppl with two fishes in their ten gal. I didn't think that was too much of a bio load for the tank.?????

the experienced reefers dont do 2. That is an incedibly small territory. bioload is high with 2 fish as well. Why not some zoos or shrooms? Do you have proper light for inverts? Or, how about a serpent star?

bleh. Ziz I had three in my 7 for a while. kept 2 for close to a year. anything is possible.

as for the inane questions about running starts and hurting themselves, well, you run top speed into a wall and tell me if it hurts. it hurts, it can kill and most importantly, they usually end up on the floor, not back in the tank.

when people say they like to jump, they mean out of the tank, not up and down in the water.

Originally posted by Crakeur

when people say they like to jump, they mean out of the tank, not up and down in the water.

I don't know. I saw some at my lfs recently doing jumping jacks.

:D

Hi Becky,

Did you decide what to do about your lights? I think you should get your lighting situation worked out before adding another fish. Although if you're just going to keep fish and not corals then you can get by with what you have.

Also, I seem to recall that you were having problems with your nitrates being rather high. That's only going to get worse if you add a fish.

I wonder if someone named "newbiefishboy" would get this much help? Especially as every question asked could have been answered by doing a search or actually buying a reef book like I suggested a month ago!

P.S. Crak , by "experienced" I meant "good". Just kidding pal!

Please read newbiefishgirls previous posts, you will agree adding fish is a bad idea. That money for another "cutie" fish could be used elsewhere.

zizmans fulla shat, he needs to be banned offa this forum for real. only experienced/good, what the fack ever man. talkin like you know your shat, im sorry but i just had to flame this foo, zizman, help yourself, read a little more, i know you have enough experience to do that

As far as fish girls question, I have read so damn much, even though I havent started my tank, Fishgirls tank has been running stable for quite some time, I follow her posts cause ima do almost the same thing minus a few things. I want to have a second clown or the fire goby just my opinion tho, i seen tanks fine with this setup

Originally posted by zizmans

I wonder if someone named "newbiefishboy" would get this much help? Especially as every question asked could have been answered by doing a search or actually buying a reef book like I suggested a month ago!

And people are still reluctant to see gender as a social construct. Well, what can ya do?

newbiefishgirl: If you haven't yet followed ziz's suggestion and gotten an introductory reef book, please do so. $30 for a book will save you a lot more money in dead fish and corals. Deal with your lights and deal with your nitrates.

As for me, I'm changing my username to girlyreefgirlGIRL and uploading pictures of my wicked-cool green "fire coral" which I will expect all of you to oooh and aaah over. That is all.

newbiefishgirl

wow you people are way WAY too eagar to jimp down someone's throat . 1. I do not have a nitrite problem. I think they were higher once a few wks ago... but everything in my tank read zero from that point on.

2. Yes I did in fact buy some reef books

3. I have not gotten an upgrade on lighting, not because I don't plan to but because I am not ready to put any kind of coral into my tank yet. I want the tank more mature before doing that, also have more reading.. and of course the purchase of higher lighting. WHAT I CAN purchase is a second fish. The tank CAN handle that.

Thank you Quash, for sticking up for me, as I can say I HAVE not done any thing that has cost a life in my tank. The way zizmans speaks, you would think I just threw everything togther in a tank and hoped for the best. But I have done my research before each step.

And as far as ppl helping me because I am girl.....I think thats a little far fetched!!! If zizmans, you have not noticed THE ONLY thing I post on here is questions about fish! I am not here to attracted attention, much like yourself who insists on pointing out all the wrong of others and picturing yourself as the "know it all of marine hobbiest" haha

Buddy you need to chill out!!

Becky,

get the lights as soon as you can. Changing the lighting effects the corals and, if you don't acclimate them correctly, they will die. Better to start with the upgrade as soon as possible.

Now, for my lecture. This is the second time someone has said that, if your name was newbiefishguy, nobody would be of help. Sadly, this is probably true. mainly because, if a guy posted a serious question and followed it up with peppered questions that give the impression of a batted eyelash hair flip, they would be shot dead. Don't take offense to the boys. Smile in the knowledge that your girlie charm keeps dragging them all in.

newbiefishgirl

haha Thanks Crakeur!

I hear ya on the lighting... but I did say I dont have any corals yet, right?

I will probably upgrade at the end of Aug. One extra check in this aug month= more play money for the tank!

I thought you said you were waiting for the tank to become established. I consider an established tank to be one that is stocked and growing.

My bad.

newbiefishgirl

oh.. well I am confussed now.

I have stock in the tank, 1 clown, 3 snails, 3 blue legs and 1 coral banded

but NO corals.. I just dont feel I am near ready yet.

Becky,

my suggestion is to get the lights and then get the corals. makes it easier on the corals. the other livestock will have less issues with a light change.

Also, by getting the lights before adding corals, it gives you a chance to ensure the tank temp won't be raised by new lights etc. Basically, you'll take an established tank and need to re-establish it to some degree.

Archived