Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fast blast about hair algae

swordfish

I am going to start with some phosphate absorbing material tomorrow to help clear up a geeen hair algea problem I have been having. The question is: I just toothbrush-removed most of it but of course there is some left. Will the phosphate absorber cause that amount that is left to die off or will it have to be removed manually? If it'll cause it to die, how long will that take?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm wondering the same thing, but my algae is like a deep maroon hair algae. My algae is covering about 1/2 of a 3lb piece of LR, and it has neither spread nor subsided.

phosphate removers will not get rid of it.....but they will help it from spreading all over your tank via water. high nitrates, low calcium levels, low pH, photo-periods are a few other elements that can contribute to different algae growths. a phosphate remover will really help to contain it. the real algae killer is an effective clean-up crew.....or, if your tank is uninhabited, switching off the lights or using shorter photo-periods will kill it in a matter of days.

i found that calcium and bad algae do not get along. dripping kalkwasser has helped me maintain a higher pH and helps the coralline algaes spread. I always have a little patch of hair algae somewhere though.

I had a hair algae problem in my 7 bow, not alot but some target areas. I purchased 5 turbo snails, and they took care of it right away! I saw some regrowing on a live rock, and the next day, the turbo was on the rock and cleaned it up!

I would invest in some turbo snails:P

About the snails....Thsi is just what I ahave been told, but they do not eat the algae when it is grown long, only when it's starting to grow.

Jeff

snails will also be partial to the glass.....cuz it is kind to their babysmooth feet...when i pick mine up and put them on the algae rocks they seem to stick around though

ELGORDOINAVW

emerald crabs and sally light foot atre others that come to mind. they are great at hair algae, also excellent for bubble algae.

Archived