Cultivated Reef

Aqua Clear 110 Fuge Mod.

CarterNichols

CarterNichols

well for my light, my grocery store(giant) has these little like closet lights... and the bulb is a 4w t5 bulb with a reflector.. so i am trying to figure out how to take that apart and convert the power from battery to a plug

It's not a 110 but only a 70. I cut a piece of 1 1/2" PVC in half and covered the end. Used a 13w PC retro I ahd laying around with a 6700k bulb. It's only been a couple weeks and that tiny chaeto ball takes up nearly the whole fuge now. A light like this would prolly be plenty on a 110 too.

2008_04130021.jpg

2008_04130020.jpg

2008_04130022.jpg

This one I took a few minutes ago.

2008_05050002.jpg

CarterNichols

i think i may just get a clip on or something, i have done enough DIY to last me a while ha.

• 2 weeks later...
Finished, crappy looking project... but it'll get the job done.

IMG_1237.jpg

I am trying to build one too. Where did you get that tiny egg crate looking thing?

SaltWaterNewb
I am trying to build one too. Where did you get that tiny egg crate looking thing?

It's the media basket that comes with the filter. The bottom part.

CarterNichols

yeah i just cut it up to fit... lots of people use the sides of the media basket as well to create baffles, i preferred acrylic.

Thanks. I obviously have not bought mine yet ... :)

• 7 months later...

I have a couple questions about this project:

1) Do you put sand in the bottom of the fuge, below the cheato?

2) Why do people talk about cutting "teeth" the baffles? Is that so they can sit on the bottom of the filter and water can flow through slots?

3) If I understand correctly, the first big baffle covers the pump assembly area and has a large area at the BOTTOM for the water to flow through. The 2nd baffle is smaller and sits on the bottom of the filter so that water then goes over its TOP. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Eric

CarterNichols
I have a couple questions about this project:

1) Do you put sand in the bottom of the fuge, below the cheato?

2) Why do people talk about cutting "teeth" the baffles? Is that so they can sit on the bottom of the filter and water can flow through slots?

3) If I understand correctly, the first big baffle covers the pump assembly area and has a large area at the BOTTOM for the water to flow through. The 2nd baffle is smaller and sits on the bottom of the filter so that water then goes over its TOP. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Eric

1. I personally don't use sand, but that is an option. Some people also put live rock rubble in the fuge as well.

2. the teeth on baffles are usually on the top which increases flow, i do not have teeth on my baffles.

3. Yes the first baffle, which is about an inch to the left of the pump (looking from the back) and leaves about a 2 inch gap between the floor of the fuge and the start of the baffle.

the second baffle is about an inch and a half away from the first baffle and starts at the floor of the fuge and goes up about 3 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived