inTank Media Baskets

**** Slime algae!

Metznreef

ok, here's the deal. i had a red slime algae(cyano bacteria) problem about 6 months back and i treated it with chemi-clean and it cleared up in like 2 days. but like 2 weeks ago the problem started again. i must have introduced a coral or rock or somthing that had some of the cyano on it. so i try to treat it with the chemi-clean i had left over from my last battle and it doesn't work! i keep turning over the sandbed with my hand to cover up the growth, but it's back the next day. i also added another power head to blow along the bottem of the tank, but that doesn't seem to be working. the only thing i can think of is that i developed some mutant strain of slime algae which is resistant to chemi clean, or my chemi clean is just old and funky, because it worked so well last time. what can i do to rid myself of this slime? tell me or i will ship some of the red goop to all of you so you will share my aquatic fate! muwahahahahahaha. oh sorry, frustration taking over.

I am sorry but I may not give good help, but what kind of salt and what kind of water you using? I am actually collecting data that how does ppl have a reoccurance of outbreak of algae the 2nd time, coz I just have a total outbreak of all kind of algae couple days ago, when I mean all kind, I mean all kind, u name it, I have it...

Turning the sand bed over only spreds it, and makes it worse in the long run to get rid of. Try using Maracyn tablettes. It has worked for me around three times now . You drop in 1 tablet for each ten gallons and it is gone in 24 hrs give or take. It is intended for antifungal ( or how ever you type it lol!) use. But! It has NO copper or heavy metals in it to harm the reef or any thin gother than the nusance algae. BTW it is like 12 dollars cheaper than "Red-SLime remover" and every thing else too! You can fin dit at walmart and just about any where fish supply's are sold.

Hi,

I think I may also be having a out break of Cyno/slime algae. After I bought a Green star polyp from the LFS it started to show up in my tank. From your discription it sounds like exactly what I have. I just wanted to ask a question to make sure it is what I have. Is the cyno/slime algae reddish brown in color and does it grow where there is only plenty of light, also good water flow? Does it release air bubbles every now and then? I also remove it and it will be back the next day, I was also stirring the sand to cover it.

Nasty stuff!

You definately don't want to stir the sand to cover it. It needs to be removed from the tank and the best way I found to do this was with a turkey baster. It takes a while to suck up the larger patches and inadvertently some is left behind, and will continue to grow. I had to suck it out about a couple of times a day for several days while treating with red slime remover and drastically lowering my light duration in order to get rid of it. Lots of work, but it will go away.

metz,

how old are your bulbs?

i agree, don't just bury it, it'll just recycle. either siphon it out or switch out some of the filter media (i.e. staggered replacement) as the media might be overloaded or saturated.

I started having a small problem with the Red slime on some of my LR in my 5G, however it was not epidemic by any means. after letting it grow for about a week, it has started to receed, and now is hardly visable.

I think the best way about handling algae is to find out what its feeding off of and stop it at the source.

dark devil: i am using coralife salt(going to switch very soon) and DI water

my bulb is not old, i just replaced it like 3 weeks ago. i think i am going to try the Marycyn. thanksguys.

but like 2 weeks ago the problem started again.
my bulb is not old, i just replaced it like 3 weeks ago.

they may not be old but they still may be an issue. timing is just pretty suspicious. just curious, are they coralife bulbs?

i agree with mnem. look for the source versus treating the symptom.

Originally posted by tinyreef

i agree with mnem.  look for the source versus treating the symptom.

i've already reduced feedings, added more flow, used a phosphate remover, etc..... next i'm going to try changing salt. but i am still going to do the marycyn. the red slime is taking over my GSP, i keep scrubbing it off but it is killing them.

Archived