Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mated Pair of Gold-Banded Maroon Clowns!!!!!

nanonut

Does Anyone know of a reputable online dealer who has a mated pair of Gold banded Maroon clowns. Possibly even a distributor who will extend a live arrival guarantee as well. Anyone, Anyone??? Thanks!

Not realy. Ther is a smal chance they will but more than likely they wont. Clowns mate for life I am told. As well they are VERY picky about there mates.

Check ORA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't maroon clowns get big & nasty over time?

Might be too much in a nano, unless you have future plans for a bigger tank.

I recently read somewhere that clowns actually change sex over time. In other words, the male becomes the female etc. Not sure where I read it or how much validity can be put in the statement but, given the nemo press, I'm fairly sure it was clowns they were talking about.

Nemo was a male fish, which wasn't a surprise. All clownfish hatch as males and remain so until the dominant female in a clown fish-anenome community dies. Then the dominant male changes sex.

here's the link for the above quote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science...mz1c18nemo.html

here's another link about the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/10/clownfish030710

Sometimes I can be serious.

yeah crak, clowns do change sex. all clowns are born males. in the wild, the colony of clowns that live in an anemone have a dominant female and a dominant male. these are the 2 that mate. all the other clowns are just lower ranking males. if somthing were to happen to the female (ie. she gets eaten) the dominant male will become the dominant female, and another male will assume the role of dominant male. well there you have it, the sexual social structure of clowns;)

so from what is said, in the end of movie "Finding Nemo", Marlin(Nemo's father) should become a female and Nemo should change from sexless to male..... hmm..... something the movie didn't tell us...... should let our kids know... hehe.....

Well now that i know that, maybe I'll just get one and be happy. Thanks for the help. What do you guys think about putting a coral beauty in with a clown, and a watchman goby in a 15 gal. Have any of you had any experience with this selection or something similar.

gargoyleexotics

I wouldn't put a coral beauty in a 15 gallon tank. 30 gallons is the recommended minimum tank size. The maroon will definitely outgrow that tank as well (a single clown kept alone will become female and if you have never seen an adult female maroon in person they are real big).

Buddy of mine has a 6-7" maroon that is in a 14" Rose LTA: damn thing draws blood from the guy every time he puts a hand in the tank!

Percs (flase/true) and cinnamons are easy.

Archived