inTank Media Baskets

Sea Cucumber disembowlment

witecap4u

OK, so I just got my sea cucumber Acclimated it and about two hours later(while I am at work, still am...), my wife heard a tapping coming from the tank, well, my clowns were jumping into the lid of the tank, and the cucumber threw out its guts. she moved the fish to a holding tank, but the water started turning white. She pulled out all the inverts she could, and put them in the holding tank also. The fish looked really bad, and the CBS was limp when pulled out, but after about 5 min, the were alive and kickin again.

So, what do I do from here. Water change, carbon change? what about bio material, do I need to change that? What about my live rock and sand?

any help will be appreciated, but need help soon

Thanks,

CSeel

well....this is a huge problem. i dont have a definite answer but in the past...some of my customers expierience was that theyhad to start the tank over. you got lucky that your wife saw this problem and got the fish and such out. i would rinse the rock and sand in sw. i hope there are more opinions because this is not personal expirience just customers expireience. maybe post in the general discussion. more people will look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all hope is not lost i just read an article on the same subject in aquarium fish mag what the quy had to do is remove almoast all rock and diped it in new sw then did about a 50% water change twice over the period of 2 weeks then he tested water when his prerams were all settled he added t chepie fish to see if it would support life and  his tank did he wated another two weeks then started all over

cam

Well, sorry it been so long. Its a 25g tank, 45lbs LR 40LB LS. I put the rock in a container with half the water to keep it wet, put a fluval 404 with 3 conpartment of Carbon. on the sand and about 3" of water. Ran that for about 6 hours stirring the sand every hour or so for about 5 min. When it was clear, I put the fluval on the rock for about 12 hours. I drained the sand, and started setting the rock back up, found a live emerald crab!!. Mixed new water,ect. acclimated them and put everything back in(they were too cramped where they were). Everything looked happy for about two hours then I went to sleep. when I woke up, I couldnt see through the tank, it was so mirky, and everything was dead, except for like a couple crabs. I started thinking hard, and the only thing that wasnt in the holding tanks were some new polyps that came with my order that the cucumbers were in. Well, I ran the fluval on the rock and sand together this time, put the skimmer on full, and let it go for a day, did a 100% water change, and am starting over. I am down about $250-300, but thats all in the past. The only things to make it were 3blue leg hermits, one red leg hermit and a fighing conch. Im starting over pretty much, right now, I have two domino damsels in there to see if the water is back to normal. Been doing good since friday when I put them in, they seem happy. Hopefully I will  have better luck this time.

Thanks for the help.

cs

• 3 weeks later...

Damn cukes...see this thread should be seen by those who frequent the general section.

So many people want to put cukes in nano's and dont know the read dangers.

And your tank isnt even a true nano.

Sorry about your loss man.

I'd be so gutted and frustrated if it happened to me. :(

Archived