Innovative Marine Aquariums

totally out there but...

katydidit

I'm trying with all my might to make my penguin mini have a purpose. I was looking at this old lamp on my desk, and it hit me! Its one of those book lamps, the kind that have a u shape, and the light goes down. Its 40 watts, and with my curiosity, I decided to see if it would go directly above my HOB if it were to sit behind it, and it has a 2" lift above it. Would I be crazy to use this as a source of light, or could this actually work? I dont *have* to make this into a fuge, I just have read about all of the added benifits, and thought I would try it.

I say go for it. If it starts causing too much algae then you can always take it off. But one thing... if you don't have anything growing in the HOB why put the light on it? I would only use it if you have some macro or something growing in it. Who knows maybe the spectrum of the light won't keep anything alive, but it never hurts to try.

Hows the tank coming along anyways?

LMAO, you really had to ask that question surfy didnt you?

I'm waiting (impatiently) until I get moved into my dorm in late August (the 21st to be exact) to completely start my tank. But in the meantime, I have been planning like a madman getting everything perfect before I start. I think I have everything already from the many bottles of b-ionic to the buckets of IO salt...no joke, all I need now is the live rock and I'm ready! But what I really wanted to do with my HOB is put some LR in it with some macro and possibly some caulpera (if there is room?). I mean its better than nothing right?

Cool, sounds like you are more than ready to start this sucker up:)

Dorm huh! hope the room mate dosn't mind the mess, LOL.

Also make sure your new buddy dosn't mess up the tank.

I don't think I could handle a dorm room, when I start school again i'm going to rent a place. Then I can still have all my tanks and keep them safe from nosy people.

Your going to cal poly right?

Good luck with school, I still have 5 more fun filled years left.

By the way, if you use the HOB as a refugium I would get another small one just incase you need to run carbon or something. I run carbon 24-7 in my tanks, just a thought.

I'm actually thinking of using another penguin mini in replacement of my zoomed PH. Mostly for aesthetic reasons, they just take so much less space than the powerheads inside the tank. Plus, I dont want to buy an extra PH to mix the fresh sw with, so it just might work out fine.

I'm hoping to god that my roommate is cool with my new obsession, and even cooler not to touch anything! But I think that girls are less likely to 'mess around' with stuff than guys, so I'm not too worried. The whole dorm issue is what got me started in this nano business to begin with! They only allow 5g or less tanks (but who is going to know, its 2 gallons!).

Archived